Please sign in to post.

Italy in August

I'm planning our third trip to Italy for August/September 2012. I know that August is typically when Italians go on vacation. Therefore, is August not a great time to visit? I'm planning to be there for 25 days & will start in the north & work my way down to the Amalfi Coast (Venice, the Dolomites, Lake Garda, the CT & finally the Amalfi Coast). I'm thinking of leaving the US on or around Aug 24 so I would be in Italy for the last 6-7 days of the month & then the first few weeks in September. If you have visited Italy in August, I welcome your feedback as to how crowded these places are & whether you think August is a good time to visit or not. Thank you in advance.

Posted by
791 posts

Any beach area is gonna be crowded in Aug. You'll probably find it slackens in Sept. but could still be crowded with non Italians. You'll also find alot of little family run stores/restaurants in other areas with hand written signs in the window saying on vacation.
We were in Sorrento first week of last Sept. and, while not as bad as I expected, it was still pretty crowded.

Posted by
12 posts

We've been here in Italy since 30 July (1 week in Rome and 2 weeks in Positano). Any touristy areas that you go to will be in full swing business mood. In Rime, we did notice that some businesses were closed for vacation but it didn't hinder our trip in any way. It's not at all like Paris where we live and where in August you literally could walk miles to find a bakery open for some fresh baguette! It is very hot though (up to 95 degrees today!) BUT everywhere that we have gone has had air conditioning and it works excellently. Just be sure to ask wherever you are staying if they have it.

Posted by
515 posts

I was in Siena once in an August. there were of tourists but I did not notice long lines to anything. Aside from hospitality industry employees, the most common languages I heard were, by far, German, British and American in that order. Hardly any Italian. Back home in San Francisco in most Augusts (and this is a good thing), there are Italian tourists all over downtown asking for directions.

Posted by
791 posts

If you're going to Lago di Garda in August, better brush up on your German...

Posted by
1068 posts

I somehow contrived to be in Italy (Florence, Venice, and Rome) one August and have SEARING (pun intended) memories of the heat. Countryside and seaside are cooler than in the cities, but it can get pretty roasting anywhere. So, if you love hot weather, August should be perfect!

Posted by
453 posts

August in Italy is way too hot for me. Just dont enjoy it. And the AC always seems feeble (where there is AC).

Posted by
7737 posts

If there's any way you can shift that more into September, I would. Happy travels.

Posted by
238 posts

Walking in Venice last August reminded me of a line at Disney World - it was THAT crowded! We were back in June of this year and it was like night and day. If you can possibly move Venice to the end of your trip, I think you'd enjoy it more.

Posted by
8 posts

I just got back from two weeks in Italy..July 31- August 13. I was in Rome, Florence, Venice, Pisa, Siena, San Gimginano and Positano. Venice was the only place that I would consider crowded, but there were also 2 cruise ships in port that day, too! Did not have to wait very long in lines to most of the sites although I booked many of them in advance...Vatican Museum, Uffizi, Borghese. Positano was a bit crowded in spots but nothing overwhelming. I would suspect that places like Capri are much more crowded with locals. Weather for us was pleasant! I was told that the temperatures were below normal for August...but then again, I am from South Florida...so heat and humidity are not a problem! I am envious! I would love to go back for 25 days!!! Two weeks was too short!

Posted by
1446 posts

Thanks for your input everyone. I really appreciate it.

Posted by
27 posts

I'm in Firenze as I write this. Being here in August requires good humor and flexibility when shopping or eating. Favorites from past trips are closed. Enough others are open, though, including several recommended in the RS guidebook. Traffic in Rome was shockingly light, and we got 25 percent off the Firenze room charge by staying four days or more. Getting a room at a seaside town in Calabria was tough -- best choices were full by April.