Please sign in to post.

Italy in August?

We are taking our honeymoon in August and part of our plan includes Venice, Bologna and Tuscany (not sure where our base will be just yet but possibly Siena). I'm hearing mixed things from folks on here but also just all over the Internet and in person about whether or not it makes sense to visit Italy at this time of year. We could deal with the heat if we have an air conditioned hotel (I visited New Orleans in August and was just fine), but I think we would be pretty disappointed if lots of smaller restaurants and shops were closed as having that sort of experience is much higher on our agenda than any of the major sites.

Does anyone have any experiences or opinions to share? Our current tentative itinerary has us in Venice 8/8-8/10, Bologna 8/11-8/12 and in Tuscany 8/13-8/16.

Thanks!

Posted by
15193 posts

From mid June to mid Sept it is hot in Italy, no question about that.
Some restaurants and shops may be closed for vacation, but not all, especially in city centers.
8/15 is a major holiday when most things will be shut down and people head to the seaside or mountains.

Posted by
3958 posts

We have been in all three Italian cities and many more in August over the years including some in Tuscany last summer. In the 3 cities you mention, Venice, Bologna and Siena, there will still be an abundance of restaurants to choose from although some small family run restaurants and shops will be closed for much of August.

Posted by
2114 posts

I've been in Italy in August, but that was back in 1966! Rome was brutally hot and back then there was no air conditioning, except on the tour bus.

How flexible and adaptable are you? If you require everything to be "just so" you might find being in Italy in August frustrating. If you can go with the flow, think on your feet and not be thrown off by minor disappointments then I say go for it!

PS After dating the same girl for 50 years and being married to her for 46, now is a good time to start working on being flexible and adaptable if need be. Marriage can throw you curve balls. The secret of success is not to avoid them, but to learn to deal with them.

Have a great trip! Best wishes on your marriage!

Posted by
288 posts

Thanks for the well wishes, Doug! Appreciate it.

I think we're pretty adaptable overall and don't mind going with the flow. We just tend to enjoy traveling more when we can check out some local, not touristy places so I do think I would be disappointed if we couldn't do that while in Italy.

Posted by
11613 posts

I have been to Italy in August, it gets hot, but crossing the street to walk in the shade makes a big difference. Hotels with a/c might not be the blast-chillers we are used to here in the US, but more and more places are adding them (including shops and restaurants). In the evening, it can be pleasant enough to dine outdoors at restaurants if the inside is too warm.

Congratulations! If you are in Bologna for lunch or dinner, try La Colombina restaurant.

Posted by
32212 posts

rachael,

Yes, it will probably be hot in Italy in August but that will also be true in other parts of Europe. I was just in Portugal in August at about the same latitude as Napoli and Siena and while it was hot, it wasn't that difficult to deal with. I tended to do some touring in the morning, take a "siesta" in the air conditioned hotel in the hottest part of the afternoon, and then resume touring in the evening. Of course it also helps to be prepared with a good hat, sun screen and lots of water during those times I was out in the sun. The most uncomfortable day was waiting in a long queue to enter the Jerónimos Monastery, but I managed.

It would be a shame to miss Italy because of the hot weather. Thousands of other tourists as well as the locals will also be dealing with that.

As the old saying goes, "there's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing".

Posted by
1829 posts

August is extremely busy time for American and other foreign tourists to visit Italy so would expect only the small shop owners to close during this time to take their own vacation in the middle of the month. The experience may not be as authentic as other times of year as the locals get out of the cities, but there are so many shops and restaurants in each city/town that some may be closed but enough will be open other than on the 15th to accommodate the rush of tourists. In Venice shops will be exactly the same, not sure how many local Italians operate any shops there anyway.
It will be Hot for sure but have family that have visited many times in August since with kids sports and camps early August is often the only time they can ever go anywhere ; they went this August to Rome and had a great time.

Posted by
288 posts

Thanks everyone, this is all super helpful and reassuring. :)

Posted by
15589 posts

My only thought is that if you can handle New Orleans in August, you'll be okay in Italy. Take mosquito repellent and anti-itch spray. Most hotels have AC.