Please sign in to post.

Italy in April 2022 and question about United Travel Certificate

Hello all!
2 questions-
First- does anyone know anything about United Travel Certificates?
Long story short we had travel booked with United for Sept 2020- of course had to cancel-we were issued a Travel Certificate that has expiration date of April 25, 2022. Does that mean travel must be completed by that date or could we use the certificate by 4/25/22 but travel after that date?
I can't find an answer on United and their phone wait is always 40-50 minutes. I suspect the former is the answer.
Thanks for any info you can share-

2nd- If we do have to travel before April 25, 2022 I have to assume that is a pretty good time to visit Tuscany? We have been there before but in Sept which was wicked hot. We are reworking our original itinerary and will likely fly into Florence out of Naples-splitting about 3 weeks between a few Tuscany locations and ending in Sorrento. We have been to Sorrento /Naples before as well- in May and had a LOT of rain.

Thanks
Can't wait to travel again and dang 2022 is so far away!

Posted by
6539 posts

I too have a couple United travel certificates from a cancelled trip. As long as you’re booked by the expiration date, you’re fine, since you’ll be using the funds during the purchase process. Any remaining unused funds after the expiration date will be forfeited. For me, I’ve been able to use most of my funds for domestic travel. The remaining funds on my certificate was free money from United from a couple years ago when it cancelled a return flight from Spain.

Posted by
7360 posts

On our stay in Sorrento (at New Year’s - not wicked hot or cold), our B&B host/chef said that April is the best time of year there, and is when he’d visit if he didn’t already live there.

Posted by
263 posts

When you log onto your United account, you should see a "Manage your travel credit" option in your My Account page. If you click on "Future flight credit - view details" link, it will tell you not only how much of a credit you have but also it tells you whether travel must commence by XX date or if travel must be booked by XX date (very different things).

Posted by
3695 posts

The answer to your question is on the travel by date is here at the United website. Click on What's the difference between electronic travel certificates and future flight credits. So you do not have to go the link (unless you want to) the answer is that you have to rebook by the expiration date but you do not have to travel by that date.

Posted by
3847 posts

If you haven't found it, the webpage on United's website regarding travel certificates/future flight credits: https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/travel/credit.html

I would encourage you to double check to make sure you have a travel certificate, not a future flight credit.

On the webpage linked above, you can view a nice little chart comparing travel certificates and future flight credits under "Compensation FAQs" if you click on "What's the difference between electronic travel certificates and future flight credit?"

Travel certificates are cool because...
1. You can use them for anyone (you are not restricted to using them only for yourself)
2. There are no restrictions on travel-by date (just use the certificate like cash before the expiration date)

The one caution? From United's website "...you can't use a travel certificate to book a flight on Star Alliance™ airlines, or United-marketed flights operated by other airlines." So, you can only use them on United metal -- you can't use them for flights on other airlines marketed by United (e.g., a Lufthansa flight sold by United with a UA flight number). Happily, it looks like United continues to operate Newark flights to Italy!

Posted by
3245 posts

I have been to Italy in April twice, and the weather was perfect. But if it all possible, avoid Easter - Good Friday, Holy Saturday, Easter Sunday and Easter Monday are way bigger deals in Italy than they are in the States - lots of places will be closed.

Hopefully we too will be in Italy in April 2022!

Posted by
115 posts

FWIW, I have cancelled United travel plans several times this year. When I did so the first time I received "travel certificates" with an initial expiration date. When I next booked something I used those credits. I later cancelled that subsequent reservation and new travel certificates were reissued with a new and later expiration date. As long as cancellations are allowed for UAL purchases, it seems like you can extended the expiration of travel certificates by booking something/anything and then re-cancelling.

This is just my experience. I hope it can work for you too.

Posted by
6054 posts

Thanks everyone

Click on What's the difference between electronic travel certificates and future flight credits.<<

This is what I never looked at- and yes it is a Travel Certificate