Please sign in to post.

Italy in April 2018

Hello, my husband and I are planning our first visit to Italy next April 2018. We are wanting to visit Venice, Florence, Rome, and the Cinque Terre. What would be the most efficient order to visit these places? We are thinking it would be better to fly into Venice and out of Rome. Would it be better to go to Cinque Terre from Venice or Florence? We are still flexible on the number of days we want to visit but I was thinking of spending 12 full days in Italy (not including the two for travel) and staying in Venice for 3 days, Florence 3 days, Cinque Terre 2 days and Rome for 4 days.

Any advice you could give would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Posted by
906 posts

Well, a great trip for you. You picked four pretty popular places to see.

Your time allocation looks pretty darn good. 5 Terre is doable from Florence by train. That is the best launch point for you. So, Venice, Florence, 5 Terre, then Rome. You could do it the other way around but I think this is best. Leaving from Venice though will make great memories.

Posted by
1059 posts

I would arrive in Venice, go to Florence, Cinque Terre, and depart from Rome. It would be a lot less stressful departing from Rome than from Venice. I think you have allocated your time and the cities perfectly. You will have a great vacation.

Posted by
15843 posts

Venice, Florence, Cinque Terre, and depart from Rome. Lots of flights from Venice leave early enough in the morning to cause some interesting and expensive transport issues from hotels, depending on where they are.

You're going to have a great time!

Posted by
3124 posts

Agree with everyone above---Cinque Terre fits best between Florence and Rome.

Posted by
3124 posts

You don't say where you live but I will assume US or Canada. If so, be careful when you choose your flights if using British Airways. Many of their flights to Venice from North America involve a transfer from Heathrow ( where the longhaul flight lands) to Gatwick ( where the flight to Venice departs). Don't do that! Look for a flight that arrives at Heathrow early enough that you can catch the late-morning Venice flight from LHR. Or use a different airline.

Posted by
11 posts

Great thanks so much. This makes it a little easier to start planning the details. I appreciate the feedback.