Please sign in to post.

Italy in 8 days

I will be traveling to Italy this summer. (We are beginning our trip in Ireland for a week, and are comfortable with that part of our trip as we have been there before.) We have not been to Italy however.

Our tentative dates are that we will fly into Rome near midnight (from Cork, Ireland) on Friday, July 28th.

We will be flying home on Sunday, August 6th from Florence (to MT).

We are thinking of staying in Rome through Monday.

Tuesday, August 1st, we are pondering going to Cinque Terre for 1 or 2 nights. Do this or skip CT?

Wednesday night or Thursday morning,(8/2 or 8/3) we are planning to go to Florence for the remainder of our trip.

We have pondered trying to squeeze in Venice, but I am concerned we are trying to put too much into this 8 days.

This is likely our "once in a lifetime" trip to Italy, so what places would you most recommend we go to, and for how many days/nights, and what would you recommend we skip?

Is train the best way to travel in Italy between these towns? If there is more than one train, which train would you most recommend for that travel? We tried looking up train schedules, but could not get the website to open to a schedule to see potential times we could travel between places.

Thank you for any guidance you can share. I hope to get our flights booked this weekend, but we have been struggling with the itinerary now for well over a month.

Posted by
4385 posts

Can you carve out any more time? In a week, you could have a pretty good trip to Rome and Florence.
I’m not one who thinks you must see the “big three” in your first (or tenth) trip to Italy, but you can hike in pretty coastal settings in a lot of places, whereas there is only one Venice. Which places are you most interested in seeing?
Getting from Florence to Cinque Terre takes several hours. In a couple week trip, that might not matter much, but I would not spare those hours with a week.
Trenitalia and Italotren are the companies for trains.

Posted by
2956 posts

So, you’ll be in IT for nine nights. You need a minimum of four nights in Rome and three nights in Florence and the Cinque Terre is not convenient from either Rome or Florence. Why waste a day sitting on a train all day that requires a transfer and is a boring ride anyway. Venice is another outlier that you don’t have time for.
With two extra nights add an additional night in each location. From Rome visit Orvieto by direct train from Rome’s Termini station (1h 15m): https://www.trenitalia.com/en.html. You’ll then need to ride the funicular to reach the town. In Florence take a direct bus to Siena (1h 15m) that will drop you off just outside the old town.

Posted by
8147 posts

I'd suggest moving from Rome to Florence on Tuesday since that's where you're flying home from. Both Rome and Florence are very important cities to travel to. You should skip Cinque Terre this trip.

If you go anywhere else, you could catch an early morning fast train to Venice for a day trip. It would be a long, but good day.

Posted by
295 posts

This is so exciting!! I had a once in a lifetime trip to Italy last year and wanted to squeeze it all in as well. I’ve been back twice since lol! (Long story but we had three flight canceled and the airlines compensated us enough to make the first trip free since we traveled on a tight budget.)

Anyhow!

Rome. 3 days is the bare minimum I’d give and I’m glad you’re staying past the weekend since weekdays feel a little different. The colosseum isn’t overrated but if it doesn’t interest you in and of itself, don’t go just because other tourists do.

The Vatican is full of “Wow”. Maybe too full? If you don’t dearly love ancient art, I wouldn’t spend a day in the museums. Getting there, security, giving things only a cursory view, and heading out will take a half day. If you’ve got to see it, I’d get a guide or pre plan your must sees and blitz through. If it’s a big part of your reason for going to Rome, get a guide, let them give you an overview (and lots of fun details) then spend another few hours taking your time looking at what interests you.

Castel Sant’Angelo is underrated and not typically overcrowded.

St Peter’s Basilica is hard to overrate because it’s the biggest and has great significance to those of the Catholic faith. That said, you can’t skip the line without booking a (usually pricy) tour. I would not spend the hours (yes, hours-many on a busy day in the summer) to wait in line and I wouldn’t spend a couple hours on a tour there either, but it is not religiously significant for me.

Walking in Trastevere and having a lovely dinner there is not overrated. Make reservations!!

The Testaccio Market is a great place to get out of the city center and rub elbows with Romans (and other tourists for sure, but not at the same volume as city center).

Go to the Pantheon at opening or just before close and you shouldn’t have to wait too long. You could spend 45 min. inside or a mere 10 and be happy.

The Trevi Fountain and Spanish steps are not overrated, in my opinion, but they are absolutely packed unless you’re there by 7:30am.

I wouldn’t consider going to CT in the summer unless it was free and not taking time from elsewhere. Don’t get me wrong— stunning. But other than looking, there’s shopping and hiking. The trails/trains will be packed and accommodations will be astronomical compared to less-visited cities. I know people think that everyone already knows all the hot spots in the information age but there are SO many beautiful and intriguing places in Italy. I just posted in another thread but: Lucca, Bergamo, Lake Orta, Padova, Treviso, Siena… all more interesting than CT in my opinion. And beautiful!

Absolutely go to the Uffizzi in Florence but don’t pack it with more museums on either end. Let it breathe. If you like art at all, your brain and soul will need a moment to process.

I love all the Medici sites there. If you can take a tour that gives you in-depth Medici history, you’ll understand Florence in a completely new way. I feel that 3 days at a good clip is enough time to fall in love with Florence as long as you aren’t day tripping to other destinations as well.

Venice only needs a couple of days IMO unless you have specific things to fill other days or plan to island hop a bit. A gondola ride is not overrated. Gondoliers are a part of a long tradition, training is required and permits are limited. You don’t need to book online. You can speak to a gondolier on any corner for a spur of the moment ride or to arrange for later. I’d cut Venice before losing a day in Rome or Florence.

Walking is the most memorable thing you’ll do and you’ll be rewarded with so many lovely surprises (and some expected nonsense too, of course) around corner after corner. Make sure you leave double the time you need to walk places so you can stop when you see something wonderful to eat or to look at.

We are headed to Ireland ourselves in March and I’m giddy!

Posted by
4862 posts

Wellll, it's your trip, so do what you really want to do; but with only 8 days, I'd probably skip the CT. It's a 4 hour train ride to Monterosso, so the bulk of that day is shot. Plus it's the height of crowds and heat. Likewise you don't really have time for Venice. I'd tend to be in the camp that recommends splitting your stay between Rome and Florence. Do a day trip from each of those cities to add some variety. And I'd recommend flying into Florence and out of Rome if you will be flying home from Rome.

Posted by
23 posts

Wow! I so welcome these responses and guidance!! It is exactly what I needed! Thank you all so much! I look forward to hearing more.

FYI.....we are thinking of flying home from Florence, so we won't have to backtrack.

Posted by
23 posts

If we decide to just do Rome and Florence for our 8 days, is there a "day trip" or "1 nighter" that is better recommended to see the "coast". Being from MT, we don't have that beautiful water/ocean etc near to see.

Posted by
4710 posts

If you need water views, would you consider Venice and Florence, flying into Venice or Milan ? You didn't mention how important Rome and art is to you, but Rome can be hot and crowded in the summer. Not that Venice can't be crowded, but there are many smaller canals and quiet areas away from St Mark's Square, where you still have the unique Venice experience, and you can take the vaporetto to Murano and Burano.
You sure have two different climate zones between Ireland and Italy for which to pack.
Have a wonderful trip.

Posted by
15810 posts

Hi and welcome to the forum -

...what places would you most recommend we go to, and for how many
days/nights, and what would you recommend we skip?

The hard part about making recommendations is that we know nothing about you! What are your interests? What do you already intend to do and/or see in the locations you've chosen? Why is this likely the only trip you'll ever make to Italy? Why do you have to arrive in Rome near midnight? :O)

IMHO, 4 destinations (Rome, Florence, CT and Venice ) are definitely at least one, if not two, too many for 8 days. What to discard depends on what you most want to see. There is a LOT of ground to cover in Rome but it you don't care for archeological stuff and churches.... Florence is crazy rich in Renaissance art and architecture; right up my alley but maybe not yours? The CT villages will be mobbed, and I'd probably skip it if not interested in hiking. Many CT accommodations have also booked up for the summer season by now so time is of the essence in that department. Venice isn't a possibility if flying home from Florence.

Suggestioned itineraries:
Rome: 4 nights/3 sightseeing days: Friday 7/28 thru Monday, 7/31. If you are not getting in until midnight on 7/28, that day is shot.
CT: 2 nights/1.5 days: Tuesday: 8/1 & Wed. 8/2
Florence: 3 nights/2.5 days: Thursday 8/3 thru Sat. 8/5
Fly home from Florence on Sunday 8/6

OR....
Rome: 4 nights/3.5 days: Friday 7/28 thru Monday, 7/31
Florence: 5 nights/4.5 days: Tue, 8/1 thru Sat. 8/5.
Fly home from Florence on Sunday 8/6
Look at some fun, easy day trips from Florence by train to bus, such as Siena, Lucca, Fiesole and some others? How many you'd want to do would depend on how much you'd want to see in Florence itself (there'a a LOT, if it interests you.)

You'd travel between Rome, Florence and the CT by rail. Which trains to choose depends on when you wish to depart one city for another and, in some cases, how much you want to spend on tickets. How many train changes it takes to get to the CT may depend on which village you choose to stay in. Once there, you'd be getting around by regionale trains (no reservations) or ferries. Rome to Florence should be by 'fast" Trenitalia Frecce trains or Italo 'fast' trains to save time: both require seat reservations.

We tried looking up train schedules, but could not get the website to
open to a schedule to see potential times we could travel between
places.

What website were you using? For practically all journeys, use Trenitalia: Italy's national rail service. You do need to use the Italian names of the main stations: Roma Termini in Rome; Firenze S.M. Novella for Florence; the CT stations are Monterosso, Vernazza, Corniglia, Manarola and Riomaggiore. From Rome to Florence, also check schedules on Italo, a competing 'fast' train service between larger cities. IMHO, no need for first class or business-tier tickets; lowest class carriages are just fine. I believe schedules update on June 11 so all trains may not be posted yet beyond that date; it's too early. They usually don't change much so to get an idea, just look at any month between now and June, and choose the same day of a week as you'll be traveling.

Lowest price tickets are usually non-refundable and non-changeable.

https://www.trenitalia.com/en.html
https://www.italotreno.it/en. (this site uses "Florence S.M. Novella" for Florence's main station)

Posted by
1191 posts

Rome 5 nights and Florence 4 nights.

If you want water, you could visit Ostia Antica and nearby beach for the day from Rome.

Posted by
203 posts

Are you able to add 2 days?

If you haven't booked flights yet, this would allow you to fly into Venice, stay 3 nights there, then train to Florence for 4 nights and finally Rome for 4 nights. Fly home from Rome.

The 4 nights in Florence should give you enough time for a day trip to a hill town too.

PQ

Posted by
7671 posts

Italy is my favorite foreign country. I have been to Italy several times and still want to go back for more.

Rome should get more focus, you could spend your entire 8 days there and love it.

I recommend skipping CT, it is nice, but frankly, liked the Amalfi Coast more. Florence and Venice are important to see, but you really don't have time to see three cities in 8 days. Stick with Rome and Florence and come back later for more.

Posted by
15810 posts

Sure, you could flip my previous suggestion of 4 nights Rome and 5 nights Florence (to include day trips) to 5 nights Rome and 4 in Florence. As I said before, it all comes down to which locations and what sorts of activities most appeal.

I'm still curious why the midnight arrival in Rome? By the time you'd get into the city, checked into your hotel (be sure and book one with a 24/7 desk!!!) and to bed, it'll be wee hours of the morning and you'd kill a chunk of available sightseeing time catching up on zzz's.

Posted by
23 posts

I am so grateful for this forum and the tips. Thank you all.

Our itinerary is coming together.

We will be spending 3 days in Rome and 3 in Florence. We really do want 2 nights "coastal". Is Cinque Terre the most recommended? If so, would you recommend a specific location/town for getting a motel? We want to have some beach time, My adult children will want to hike and my husband I relaxing exploration. Is there a motel or two you would recommend in the town as well?

We have also been watching the train schedules and so far we cannot see schedules past May. We will be here the first week of August. Can we assume schedules will be similar at that time that we can commit to making tentative plans and motel reservations? Motels are filling up quickly in this busy season.

Thank you again!

Posted by
4385 posts

For August it is advisable to book asap. There are not a ton of hotels, mostly small rentals. Go to Booking.com to see availability for your dates. Train schedules will be similar if not better in August.

Posted by
4862 posts

I doubt you will find many (or any) motels in Italy. Look for hotels, B&Bs, or short term apartments. Booking.com should be helpful. As for location, start with Monterosso al Mare. It's the only one of the villages with a real beach.

And while you can't book your train tickets yet, you can look at schedules for the next month or 2 to get a good idea of what will be available.

Posted by
1321 posts

You could rent a car and drive the coastline from Rome, spend 1 or two nights then cut over to Florence. I like to travel in the "same direction".

Posted by
39 posts

We just did 12 days in Italy and did all of our travel via train. Once we arrived in Florence, we took a day and went out to Pisa and further along to CT...I am glad that we did, but I know many people would not like to spend that much time on the train. For us, it was my first time in Italy, so I checked off all of the boxes - my husband thought Pisa was a silly stop but I figured, I'm here, we are making the stop. It was a quick stop along the way to CT, maybe a 2 hour pit stop and we were back on the train. I wanted to have a nice lunch, dinner, drinks in CT and then who cares if it was dark on the way back - we accomplished our goal and made it back to our hotel with no complication. Since I got to visit CT on this trip, then I can decide if next time, I want to spend more time there or go elsewhere. Best of luck with your trip planning!

Posted by
4862 posts

Mlt, I'm curious to know how many of the villages you got to explore on your whirlwind day.

Posted by
23 posts

We have now gotten most of our itinerary booked for Ireland and Italy.

Rome: 3 full days

Monterosso: 3 days including travel (1 day from Rome, and 1 day to Florence)

Florence: 2 full days

My husband and I really want to see Venice. We cannot make our trip any longer, and we are planning it on an assumption that we will not be able to return another time.

We are thinking we would like to take one of our Rome days (as we really are not planning to spend an extensive amount of time in museums or viewing art activities), and take a day trip to Venice.

Posted by
23 posts

(I pressed send accidently on the previous post)

Which train would be the best to travel for a day trip to and return from Venice? Which train station should we arrive at, for the best places to sitesee from for the day?

What are the top recommendations for places not to miss in Venice in this short time. We know we want a gondola ride.

We are planning to take a train from Rome to Monterossa. What is the best train to do that?

When we depart Monteross to go to Florence, what is the best train recommendation for that? We are planning to take a stop for a half day in Pisa enroute to Florence.

We are not finding train schedules yet for August. When are they typically put on the website?

Thank you for your guidance. I have greatly appreciated the recommendations from the Forum travel experts. Thank you!

Posted by
6069 posts

We are thinking we would like to take one of our Rome days

Venice is a 4 hour fast train from Rome
Venice is not a day trip from Rome
It would be 8 hours spent on a train plus the time to get to/from station so figure at least 9 hours of the day

Venice is not a day trip from Rome.

If you must see Venice then drop CT or Florence
Fly in to Venice, out of Rome or vice versa

Perhaps you meant a day from Florence- which is still too far as a day trip- 2.5 hours each way.
How many NIGHTs do you actually have in Florence? 3 nights = 2 full days, plus a half day.

This needs clarification- you only have 9 nights in Italy. First night is late arrival- so you have only 8 days on the ground.

Rome: 3 full days
Monterosso: 3 days including travel (1 day from <<this is not 3 days- if this is 2 nights you have 1.5 days here, it will take you half a day to get there
Rome, and 1 day to Florence)
Florence: 2 full days

Posted by
6069 posts

https://www.trenitalia.com/content/tcom/en.html

July/August schedules won't be posted til June 11 but you can look at a same day in May to see what your train options are- the schedules don't change much if at all.

Roma Termini to La Spezia Centrale (change in Florence- Firenze SM Novella)
La Spezia to Montrerosso is a regional train they run about every 30 min

La Spezia to Pisa Centrale- regional train
Pisa Centrale to Firenze SM Novella- regional train

Posted by
4862 posts

As Christine said, Venice is NOT A DAY TRIP from Rome. It could be done as a day trip from Florence, but with so little time allocated to Florence already, it's still a step too far. Especially if you don't even know what you want to see when you get there. You are cramming in so many places that you have left very little time to actually explore them.

As for train schedules, read up on European trains on the Man in Seat 61 website. Look on the Trenitalia website for train schedules. Just enter your departure city and your destination city, using the Italian, not English names. Roma, Monterosso al Mare, Pisa Centrale, Firenze SMN, and, if you insist, Venezia Santa Lucia. Schedules for the fast trains likely won't show up until June, but you can see the likely schedules by looking at the same days next month.

Posted by
15810 posts

I'll agree with Christine that Venice is not a day trip, especially not from Rome. I would have dropped Florence altogether if Venice was a priority, and done a Rome> CT> Venice trip and flown home from Venice. Or A Rome> Florence> Venice trip and dropped the CT.

Count your time in NIGHTS versus days for a more accurate look at what you're dealing with. For instance, how many NIGHTS are you staying in Monterosso? How many in Florence and Rome?

It's too early for August train schedules. They don't normally change much so you can punch whatever day of the week and time you plan to travel from ___ to ___ and see what comes up.

Posted by
11180 posts

Would you seriously consider doing NYC as a day trip from Wash DC, or doing LA as a day trip from Vegas?

That is akin to what doing Venice as a day trip from Rome would be.

If you would be content with having lunch in Venice, a 45 minute gondola boat ride, a lap around St Marks's square and back to the train station for the return to Rome, then do it.

Posted by
4 posts

It sounds like you have a great trip planned to Italy! Rome is an incredible city with so much to see and do, and I would recommend staying at least 3-4 nights to really experience all it has to offer. Cinque Terre is also a beautiful destination with stunning views and hiking trails, and I would recommend spending at least 1-2 nights there. As for Venice, it may be difficult to fit it into your itinerary given the limited time you have, but it's definitely worth considering if you're interested in seeing the unique canals and architecture.

For transportation, taking the train is a convenient and efficient way to travel between these cities. You can easily book tickets online through the Trenitalia website or app. I would recommend booking your tickets in advance to ensure availability and to take advantage of any discounts or promotions.

In terms of accommodations, I would recommend looking into vacation rentals. Staying in a vacation home or apartment can provide more space and amenities than a hotel, and can often be more affordable as well.

Overall, my recommendations would be to spend at least 3-4 nights in Rome, 1-2 nights in Cinque Terre, and the remainder of your trip in Florence. Consider adding Venice if it fits within your schedule and interests. And don't forget to try the local cuisine and wine in each destination!

Posted by
15810 posts

Sorry, I will disagree with the previous poster. There are all sorts of good reasons to book hotels versus rentals for this trip. First-timers can benefit from the assistance of a 24/7 desk should they have questions or experience difficulties, and most will store your bags for you should you arrive prior to check in or want to do some additional sightseeing after check-out. Many Italian hotels also include breakfast in their nightly fee; a nice convenience. Additional cleaning fees tacked onto rentals also make them more cost-efficient for longer versus shorter stays.

How much time do you intend to spend at your accommodation anyway when there's so much to see that's NOT at your accommodation?? :O). And speaking of time, spending 8 hours sitting on a train to/from Venice when you have so little time in Italy to begin with is not an especially good use of it, IMHO. It's your trip and your money, for sure, but you could do a lot of sightseeing with those 8 hours.

Posted by
23 posts

We are still wanting to put Venice into our Italy trip. However, we are now looking at doing it during our 3 days planned for Florence, as that trek to Venice will be shorter. We would like to see St. Marks Square, Rialto bridge, St. Marks Basilica, and experience a gondola ride. We can't see train schedules yet for early August to plan for sure. Any thoughts or suggestions on how to best do this day only excursion? We are not prioritizing art galleries in Florence. We will catch the Duomo, planning a bike tour of the highlights of Florence and a cooking class. Any other suggestions or recommendations for Florence? Any recommendations for a cooking class in Florence?

Thank you for any suggestions or recommendations.

Posted by
23 posts

We will be in Ireland for a week right before Italy. We will have one day and night in Galway. We are pondering between spending the day sightseeing in Galway, or else taking a ferry to the Aran Island (likely Inishmor), and exploring/biking around the island.

What suggestions or guidance would you share for that 24 hour period of Galway vs. Aron Island and what recommendations for either place?

Posted by
221 posts

Hey linandjen, did you mean to post your last reply here or to the Ireland forum?
Anyway, I just did a quick look at both Italo trains and Trenitalia for the first week in August, on a Tuesday, for an idea of schedules. It looks like Trenitalia will have the earlier departure from Florence (~7:30am). Italo's first train of the morning is 9:39am. If they don't add earlier trains, then I'd suggest taking the earliest trenitalia train you can get from Florence to Venice Santa Lucia station. Given what you want to do, and since you won't be carrying luggage, you might want to skip the vaporetti and just walk everywhere. I would definitely book St. Marks Basilica online ahead of time, you won't want to waste time standing in line.
The last trains for both Italo and trenitalia leave Venice S. Lucia around 7:30pm so that will be just a matter of preference. We used Italo trains from Florence to Venice and Venice to Rome in March and they were very good and cheaper at the time (booked in advance with discounts from Italo). The difference between smart (coach) and Prima, comfortwise and space were minimal. We did both and if booking again, I'd do Prima if only a few euro more, but wouldn't go out of my way to book it.

Posted by
2956 posts

You need two nights in Galway for a day trip to Inishmore, so the answer is stay in Galway.

Posted by
15810 posts

Can't answer your Ireland question (this is the Italy forum) but you'll see your available trains from Florence to Venice the way Christine instructed above:

August schedules won't be posted til June 11 but you can look at a
same day in May to see what your train options are- the schedules
don't change much if at all.

Firenze SM Novella to Venezia S. Lucia. The journey will take roughly 2.5 hours what with some time at the stations to find your train. Trenitalia has one that departs at 7:20 AM that will get you to Venice by 9:34, no changes. To maximize your sightseeing time, that's the one I'd take. Choose a late train going back to Florence. IMHO, Italo's trains don't depart Florence early enough in the morning to make the most of the day.

A detail of the itinerary you posted above;

Fri: arrive Midnight - sleep Rome
Sat: Rome - Sleep Rome; 1 full day
Sun: Rome - Sleep Rome; 1 full day
Mon: Rome: Sleep Rome; 1 full days
Tues: Travel to Monterosso; sleep Monterosso; partial day
Wed: Monterosso; sleep Monterosso
Thur: Monterosso: departing later in the day for Florence? Sleep Florence; partial day for Monterosso
Fri: Florence: sleep Florence
Sat: Day trip Florence> Venice, sleep Florence
Fri: fly home

So unless you've changed something, you only have 2 full days for Florence, not 3, and you're using one of them for Venice. With just 1 full day for Florence, you don't really have much time for more than a cooking class, bike tour and duomo (are you planning on climbing the dome? If so, you need advance reservations/tickets). Get up to Piazzale Michelangelo if it's not on the bike tour's itinerary; can be done day or night.

Website for advance reservations/tickets for S. Mark's in Venice:
https://basilicasanmarco.skiperformance.com/en/store#/en/buy

Posted by
23 posts

Is there a fun winery that someone would recommend visiting while in Rome. We have never been to one before, so would welcome a suggestion for a fun, beautiful one.

Also, then what is the best way to travel from Rome to the winery.

Thank you!

Posted by
23 posts

Is there a winery that someone would recommend visiting while in Rome? What is the best way to travel from Rome to the winery?

Posted by
654 posts

My oh my you're going to have a BUSY trip! The area around Rome isn't that great for wineries, though of course there are some in the hills above Rome, especially around Frescati. BUT then you're going to deal with the traffic leaving & returning to Rome, which would take more time & not be as picturesque as doing a 1/2 day winery tour from Florence - I would go a day earlier to Florence & book that tour from there. I'm sure someone can suggest a tour from Florence. And as Florence isn't very large, I would choose a walking food tour over a cooking class or biking tour, introduces you to some great places to eat & return to a second time. And would also give you a slower pace, which by that time in your trip might be a good break! You can even take Italian cooking classes on Zoom with Italian chefs... And Eating Europe's Rome Testaccio walking tour was wonderful.

Posted by
179 posts

When I was young, my parents took the family on a two-week road trip every summer. We got to see a lot of the country, or at least a lot around the states in which we lived, and it firmly planted a travel bug in me. My dad was of the put-ten-pounds-into-a-five-pound-bag kinda guy, though, so we really crammed too much in the time we had. I remember many times enjoying where we were or what we were doing, only to be told we had to leave to get to the next place. That same feeling came to me when we went on a Western Med cruise - the time in each shore excursion was so short. (Six hours in Rome? Really?) Ever since, we have tried to experience an area for several days at a time rather than do a hit-and-run. What a huge difference it has made in the quality of our travel!

I completely understand your wanting to see all of these awesome spots in Italy. It's one of my favorite countries! But there' a decent risk that any of the following could occur: you'll be so exhausted that the last few days will not be fun, someone will have a not-feeling-well day and they won't want to travel that day, you'll have seen so much that it's a blur in your memory when you get home. If this is truly your only time in Italy (never say never?), I suggest you follow the excellent advice above and choose two locations for several days at a time. You'll waste less time traveling, be able to relax and enjoy where you are and, If you need/want to do a day trip, you can hop a train there from these bases.

Just $0.02 from an older-and-wiser version of me.

Posted by
2304 posts

hey hey linandjean
this is a very busy trip trying to see a lot in the few days you have.
if you really want to see venice i would cut out monterosso. add 1 day to rome and 2 days to florence. train to venice from florence and double book a "budget" room near train station and back next day. we did this couple years ago just so 2 friends were about to get a "taste" of venice. everyone was so happy, even with the double book room. pack an overnight bag, enjoy the venice sights, have dinner and train back next afternoon. use trenitalia for train schedules, use italian names for stations
it's your vacation to do as you like but just a suggestion.
oldfrascati.com
check the tours they have for wine tasting. take a 30 minute train ride from roma termini to frascati and tour van will pick you up at small train station, tour the area that is known for growing wine. read home & about us, what you decide and then a train back to rome.
search wine windows of florence under educated-traveller.com
when we were there our pedicab driver took us by them, they were being refurbished to later open to sit at small tables and have wine from the windows and it's history about them
eatingeurope.com
look at the different tours offered in both florence and rome. use code eatingspring20 for discount
hope this helps but may drive you "crazy" thinking of so much to see and do with your time. you are gonna have a great time
aloha

Posted by
312 posts

Wineries should be visited from Florence. You are traveling in August when many Italians are on vacation and going to the beach areas. You are trying to make a 14 day trip into 8. Truthfully, I would skip the Cinque Terre and add those nights to Florence. You need at least 2 days for Florence. The Accademia gallery to see the David, in my opinion, is a must. Hire a private driver or book a small group tour for a day in the Tuscan countryside for a town visit, winery and farmhouse lunch. Another day to visit Venice.
Trying to fit in everything you want will make for a lousy trip. So much travelling for so little time spent. Just my opinions

Posted by
654 posts

So, you're probably getting tired of almost everyone suggesting you cut back your itinerary & stay fewer places a bit longer. Here's why - Look at what each of your days actually involves in terms of logistics & free time versus moving around. (Get up, brush teeth, eat breakfast, pack up, check out, find transport, and I really hope you're using taxis or transfer cars with this schedule, get to train station, blah blah), and see how little time it leaves you to enjoy the location. How much time have you left for just wandering, eating a meal, enjoying a gelato and watching the people stroll by? RS says something about 'imagine you will come back someday'.