Please sign in to post.

Italy in 3 weeks

Hi,
Me and my friend will be traveling to Italy in September,and our flights are already booked.
Below is the plan which we have thought of,so please let us know is it ok or what should we do?
And also we are 2 girls and will be having big luggages with us which will become heavier after we shop in Florence and we don't like to change too many trains and buses,and are good with driving in Europe,so can you please suggest as to where all we should drive and keep the car so as to we'll have to do minimum public transportation.

Day 1 10th Sept 2019 Early Morning Flight from New Delhi. Reach Sorrento by evening after landing at Naples.(3 nights in Sorrento)

Day 2 11th Sept 2019 Amalfi Coast. Post Lunch visit Ravello

Day 3 12th Sept 2019 Pompie and Hernaculem Day Trip

Day 4 13th Sept 2019 Positano day trip and leave for ferry to Capri ( 2 nights)
Day 5 14th Sept 2019 Capri - Blue and Green Grotto

Day 6 15th Sept 2019 Take afternoon ferry to Rome. (3 nights)
Day 7 16th Sept 2019 City Tour Rome

Day 8 17th Sept 2019 Vatican and Basilica Day Tour
Day 9 18th Sept 2019 Rent a car and Leave for Saturnia Thermal baths. Reach accommodation by evening Chianti (3 nights)

Day 10 19th Sept 2019 Relax . Visit Siena

Day 11 20st Sept 2019 Wine tour /San gimignano

Day 12 21nd Sept 2019 Via Outlet to Florence Airport. Leave car. Take train to Florence city Florence (3nights)
Day 13 22th Sept 2019 Florence City Tour
Day 14 23rd Sept 2019 Enjoy Florence

Day 15 24th Sept 2019 Leave for Cinque Terra and stay in Monterosso (3 nights)

Day 16 25th Sept 2019 5 village tour
Day 17 26th Sept 2019 Kayaking and Monterosso Beach
Day 18 27th Sept 2019 Cinque Terra to Venice by Train Venice (2 nights)
Day 19 28th Sept 2019 Venice

Day 20 29th Sept 2019 Venice to Lake Como by Car. Como (2 nights)
Day 21 30th Sept 2019 Lake Como

Day 22 1st Oct 2019 Como to Milan(2 nights)
Day 23 2nd Oct 2019 Milan

Day 24 3rd Oct 2019 Milan To Delhi Flight

TOTAL NIGHTS 23

Thank you.

Posted by
4573 posts

Your big suitcases might not fit into small Italian car.

Posted by
32201 posts

Ricca,

A few initial thoughts.....

On Day 6, AFAIK there is NO ferry to Rome. You'll have to take a Ferry to Naples and then use one of the high speed trains to Rome.

As you plan to rent a car, It's important to note that for driving in Italy, each driver listed on the rental form must have the compulsory International Driver's Permit, which is used in conjunction with your home D.L. (so you must carry both). These are valid for one year, and easily obtained at any CAA/AAA (or equivalent agency in India) office (two Passport-sized photos required, which may be provided by the issuing office).

You may never be asked for an IDP, but failure to produce one if requested can result in fines on the spot! Have a look at https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/transportation/rental-car-requirements for more information on I.D.P's and driving in Italy.

You may also want to have a look at some of the posts on the forum concerning the dreaded Zona Traffico Limitato (limited traffic) areas that are becoming increasingly prevalent in many Italian towns & cities (especially Florence!). Some of these are enforced by automated cameras and some by local police. Each pass through one of the automated Cameras will result in a €100+ ticket and visitors often don’t know of these violations until several months after they’ve returned home. In addition to the actual fines, renters will also be charged by the rental agencies for providing information to the authorities. You may find this website helpful - https://www.italybeyondtheobvious.com/dont-mess-with-ztl-zones . There’s also the possibility of fines for driving in bus lanes, parking tickets, tolls and speed cameras including the devious Traffic Tutor system which not only monitors instantaneous speeds but also average between two points. Violate either or both parameter and expensive tickets will follow!

There are also some potentially expensive issues to be aware of when using trains and other public transit in Italy.

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks for your reply Ken,
We have international driving licenses and yes I meant ferry from Capri to Naples and then train from Naples to Rome.

But my question is should I drive from Rome to Tuscany and leave the car in Florence and then go to cinque Terra by train and from cinque Terra to Venice in train.. because there are a lot of train changes in this route or should I rent a car from Rome drive to Chianti and then to a hotel in Florence with parking and not use the car and then drive to Montessori and on the way back drop the car at Pisa and take a direct train to Venice.

Posted by
1582 posts

Ricca - Why not train from Rome to Florence then pick up rental car in Florence to tour Chianti region. The cost could be less in Florence for the rental. Rental car companies such as Autoeurope are right by Florence's Firenze Santa Maria Novella railway station. Once you completed your Chianti and Tuscan adventures, you can then drop off car by Florence's train station and train to the lovely Cinque Terre.

https://www.autoeurope.com/car-rental-santa-maria-novella-rail-station/

Posted by
1626 posts

Drop car before Florence. Having a car there and finding a place parking lot is not necessary. Easy enough you take train to CT, then Venice.

Posted by
871 posts

Read this about driving in Italy and restrictions involved [ZTLs]; avoid leaving anything of value in a car when parked:

http://driventoit.blogspot.com/

You'll likely pick up a car at the Termini Station in Rome, return it to Via Palagio degli Spini, the complex near the Florence Airport; cab to town. Route planning on www.viamichelin.com.

Note there are a lot of stops on this plan. Lake Como IMO is ill-advised, as you have only a full day there and in Venice; lots of travel time in between. I suggest you spend 3 nights in Venice, then 2 in Milan. Get to Monterosso on the 25, missing the big cruise ship in port on the 24th. There are 2 smaller ones that day; suggest an early arrival by taking the train from the Campo di Marte station at 7:28AM. When ships are in port, Monterosso is the most heavily impacted.