Please sign in to post.

Italy help

We are 4 or 5 adults - still in planning mode. We will only have 9 days including travel days so more like 7 days in Italy. We have never been. Heard amazing things about the amalfi coast, Capri, sorrento and Florence. Not into history. Love good food, scenery and shopping. Will be the last full week of March 2020. Please share your thoughts on best trip options. I don’t want to be run run run the whole time.

Posted by
11362 posts

With 7 full days, you only have time for two places at a decent pace, not too fast. March is, like most places in the Northern Hemisphere, undependable along the coastal areas. I would stick to Rome and/or Florence and/or Venice. Pick two.

Posted by
7737 posts

Do you have a decent guide book? That's where you should start, so you can learn about places and activities that interest you.

Posted by
8171 posts

I agree with Laurel about Rome & Florence. If you've not made your flight reservations, fly into one city and out of the other--open jaw.
Those cities are just so important travel cities worthy of 4 and 3 days' visits.

Posted by
15856 posts

Just a couple of notes about the Amalfi/Sorrento/Capri area in March: the ferries won't be running to Amalfi or Positano (they will between Sorrento and Capri as long as conditions allow) and a fair amount of hotels, restaurants and shops will be closed for the off season. SITA buses will operate between the coastal towns.

More businesses will be open in Sorrento than some other locations but I'd still expect some closures. Overall, I'm not sure if this is a destination I'd go for shopping at this time of year.

Weather could be a crapshoot: sunny and pleasant or windy, wet and chilly. There is little to do indoors if Mother Nature pitches a fit.

https://www.positano.com/en/m/amalfi-coast-in-march

I love Florence but its biggest attractions center around architecture, Renaissance art and history so I'm not sure what to suggest if not interested in any of that?? Might some of that appeal? You can do some nice day trips from there (Lucca, Fiesole, Pisa) if those might appeal as well? Anyway, I'll throw my votes in with the others above for Rome and Florence: 2 bases are all you have time for, and both will offer more indoor attractions on potentially wet days

Posted by
245 posts

If you aren't into history, I'd say avoid Rome and do Florence and Bologna. Florence is beautiful, and has fabulous art and architecture, and good food. Bologna has even better food ;) And they're close, so you'll lose a minimum amount of time travelling between places.

Posted by
27219 posts

And Bologna's very picturesque, large medieval center has a lot of arcaded streets--very handy if you get rainy weather.

Posted by
3 posts

Thank you everyone! We would be flying from USA probably starting in Raleigh, nc. I’m wondering if we should wait and schedule the trip for this summer? Or late May early june - for better weather?

Posted by
15602 posts

End of March vs end of May

March - unpredictable weather, few crowds
May - likelihood of good weather but not too hot, lots of crowds

It also depends on where you want to go. There are a lot of suggestions here. What have you decided on?

Posted by
3 posts

We really want to explore the Amalfi coast so we are going to come in late may or early june and just deal with the crowds :(