Please sign in to post.

Italy help

We are driving from Lauterbrunnen to Montepulciano in early June 2020. Is there anywhere along the way, that is about half way, that would be worth stopping for an overnight before arriving in Montepulciano?? Have done Milan so......???
Thanks for the help!
Ben

Posted by
32200 posts

Ben,

I'm not sure where a good place to stop would be, but I'm sure one of the others will have some suggestions. However I'm wondering if you're planning to pick up the car in Switzerland and drop it off in Italy? I assume you're also aware of the usual "caveats" for driving in Italy?

Posted by
46 posts

I think we will stop in Parma as of this writing JUST NOW talking with a friend that had an overnight there and loved it. We are picking car up in Munich and dropping in Chuisi. I have not driven this far into Italy..only over the border....fill me in ..any and all info would be helpful!! Thanks

Posted by
11160 posts

any and all info would be helpful!

Have you seen the one way drop fee? I suspect it will be $500+

Posted by
46 posts

Yes it is .......we are looking into other alternatives for sure..but love driving. Our time line is such and with our schedule it would cost us more to fly at this point. It is NOT economical to be certain..but it is wha it is. All over now, the one way fees are very high.... guess they caught on! :) Thanks a lot.

Posted by
5581 posts

I am curious why you would have a car in Switzerland where the train system is so fantastic. In my opinion a car in Berner Oberland would not be help and possibly a hindrance. Have you done the Bernina express train? I'm doing it from Chur, Switzerland to Tirano, Italy. It is supposed to be fantastic. From there you could pick up a car in Milan or Florence or many other places.

Posted by
46 posts

We have always taken the train system..for years..u r correct..AWESOME!! This trip though we will drive as physical issues dictate!! The car...will be parked at times but will be good for us this time around!!
Thanks.

Posted by
3159 posts

True that some countries have great, inexpensive rail service but if it doesn’t fill a traveler’s needs, a car is often necessary. Paying an expensive drop off fee might be annoying but if you can afford it and enhances your trip, go for it! I’ve paid the price even though I’m a solo traveler because it allowed me to take a fabulous three week trip from Madrid through southern Spain, through many places in Portugal, finally arriving in Lisbon. I’ve done a similar trip from Berlin to Milan. Worth every cent!

Oswaltben, keep reading or searching this website for info on driving in Italy. Be sure to get an International Driver Permit which is required by law in Italy. Learn about the dreaded ZTL’s in most cities, and some small towns, where entry will guarantee a fine as well as a charge to your credit card for research done by the car rental company. If you go to a city, such as Parma, check where the zones are by doing online research before arriving. If you need to get to a hotel in the zone, find out from them if they will report your vehicle to the police so no ticket will be issued. When I’ve gone to cities with ZTL’s, I usually find a parking garage near the zone and dump my car. I don’t want a very expensive fine.

On the road there are traffic cams and traffic tutors to measure your speed. I use the Waze app for navigation because it warns you when you approach one. I don’t know if Google maps does the same. One last item, when you enter Switzerland, make sure to purchase a vignette that allows you to use the motorways and avoid more fines.

Posted by
46 posts

Thanks....I am and will continue to research the trip..and enjoy that process. Having rented a car in the past in Europe I do have an understanding of how to "stay out of trouble" and also realize Italy is a new animal. Thanks for the link too!! As I said ..i enjoy the process of trip research and this is why I am starting so early. Thanks for the advice.

Posted by
32200 posts

Ben,

"I have not driven this far into Italy..only over the border....fill me in ..any and all info would be helpful!! Thanks"

A few points to note....

• For driving in Italy, each driver listed on the rental form will require the compulsory International Driver's Permit which is used in conjunction with your home D.L. IDP's are easily available at any AAA / CAA office for a small fee and are valid for one year. If you're asked for that and can't produce it, you may be subject to fines on the spot! I believe the IDP is also required if you're driving through Austria.
  • as others have mentioned, you'll have to be extremely careful to avoid the ZTL (limited traffic) zones which exist in many towns in Italy. EACH PASS through one will result in hefty fines, which you may not know about until several months after you get home. Do NOT drive in Florence as it's just about saturated with automated ZTL cameras!
  • there are also fines for driving in bus lanes.
  • Again as mentioned, there are speed cameras including the devious Traffic Tutor which not only measures instantaneous speed but also average between two points. And of course tolls.
  • As you're renting the car in Germany, if you drive through Austria and in Switzerland, you'll need to stop at the border and buy the Highway Tax Vignette and affix it to your wind screen in the designated location. Failure to do this will likely result in hefty fines collected on the spot.
  • as you've already realized, the fee for renting in one country and dropping in another will be steep! Have they given you a definite amount? I wouldn't be surprised if it's more than €500.
  • you might find it interesting to read the recent thread here on the forum about "Robberies in Rome". Don't leave luggage unattended in the car while you're off touring.

Given the distance you're travelling, you might consider using a rental car just where it's most useful, and use trains (especially high speed trains) for the longer segments of your trip. That will be quicker and a more efficient use of your pricey holiday time.

Good luck!

Posted by
46 posts

Thanks Ken.... I am aware of the items you mentioned and will continue to research/learn about them..nothing can screw up a great time more than hefty fines from the Police. I am not planning on driving into either Florence of Rome. We will be exploring those towns accessed via the train. I recall buying the car sticker in Austria and Switzerland...it was a bit easier when you actually had to stop , show ID etc. I really appreciate your input!! Thanks again..cheers!
Ben

Posted by
45 posts

I'll just add that ZTLs are not just in Rome and Florence but also many of the small hill towns, like Montepulciano, too. Most of the towns have parking outside the old city walls and you can just walk in to the town from there. We loved Montepulciano, hope you enjoy your time there!