Please sign in to post.

Italy - Fall of 2024 - Towns near Milan, Florence or Rome

I'm trying to put together a plan for my vacation in September 2024. I like to have a basic plan in place so I can book my plane tickets as soon as they are available....using SkyMiles so I have to plan ahead. I am thinking of flying into Milan and going directly to Reggio Emilia or Parma on the day of arrival for 4 nights. Next, I'll take the train to Lake Garda for 4 nights and then Cinque Terre for 3 nights. I will have two nights remaining and could fly from Milan, Florence or Rome. I've been to all three cities several times and wonder if I can stay in a town near one of them that would be fun for a short visit, but allow for easy access to the airport. Any suggestions??? Thank you in advance!

Posted by
1048 posts

Hello Anne,

What kind of an experience are you looking for?

-Verona has a chic, cafe culture vibe in a beautiful city and is an 1:15 from Milan or 1:30 from Florence via fast train.
-Siena has that hilltop Tuscan town and is accessible to Florence by bus or train. Arezzo has the connections in a less touristed way.
-Lucca has the old town feel with exploration and Pisa nearby if want that. Accessible to Florence by train and I believe a bus that goes straight to Florence airport.

Just some suggestions there a ton more options, have a great trip,
=Tod

Posted by
7057 posts

Stresa is lovely
You could stay in Stresa night before a MXP departure
There is a direct airport bus from Stresa

Posted by
902 posts

Choose Parma.

Where on Lake Garda? If by train your only choice for actual rail access is the southern end. If the plan is to stay somewhere north of that then plan on a long ferry ride. If your destination is Malcesine, I suggest a train to Rovereto then a hire car back down to Malcesine. While the ferry ride is nice, it will be about a 4-hour trip.

Posted by
15899 posts

If you fly out of Milan Malpensa, definitely Lake Maggiore (Stresa is a great option). It's about 45 min to the airport by car, or one hour by bus or a combination of train (to Gallarate) then a taxi (from Gallarate to the airport).

If you fly out of Florence, then I'd stay in Florence because your flight is likely to depart very early in the morning to connect to a European gateway.

If you depart from Rome Fiumicino airport, besides Rome, you could stay on a nearby beach town (Ostia or Fiumicino or Fregene), or even at Bracciano on the homonymous lake, however from there you need a car to the airport (or a taxi). I knew the son of an Alitalia Captain who lived in Bracciano and it was an easy 40 min commute for his dad by car.