Please sign in to post.

Amalfi Coast In December?

My family will be traveling Italy (Rome, Florence and Amalfi Coast) the latter half of December during the Holidays. We want to see the Amalfi Coast but I'm reading in the RS travel guide that many things might be closed. Is it still worth going?

Posted by
4326 posts

Did you intend to stay there or do a day trip? I would stay in Naples, Salerno, or Sorrento (compare the three to see which suits you) and do a day trip if you get a great weather day. The main appeal is the scenery--unfortunately ferries do not operate in winter, as that is a nice way to see the coast.
People do live in the villages, but some hotels and restaurants do close for the off season. Perhaps one of the larger villages like Vietri sul Mare would be an option?

Posted by
4824 posts

"Is it still worth going"

Ask yourself what it is you want to see and do on the AC. Then ask yourself if you would still want to do it with most hotels, restaurants closed and no ferry service. With short daylight hours, cool temps (15°C avg) and a good chance of rain.

IMO, winter is great for city visits, so you will likely enjoy Florence and Rome. And maybe Naples?

Posted by
64 posts

I was there in early December last year and I'm not sure I'd recommend it. On the plus side, Sorrento had beautiful holiday decorations and was apparently relatively uncrowded with no lines for the bus etc. However, the fast ferries to Capri weren't running, and most things in Positano were closed, oh and our sea view hotel room was freezing. It depends on what you want you see and do, but it really felt like a place that's much better in warmer weather. I usually love off season travel but it just didn't work for me.