Please sign in to post.

Italy

Hello,

We are a big group going to Italy. We are planning 7 days in Tuscany, 4 days in Florence and 4 days in Sorrento. We can fly into Florence or Rome. I know this trio isn't usually recommended but we are trying to please everyone's wishes. In which order would you travel them?

Your thoughts would be much appreciated,
Lori

Posted by
4811 posts

How many people (that might affect transport recs). Are you planning on renting vehicle(s)--where in Tuscany? What month?
Are you coming from overseas?
It might work well to start with Florence, take train to Sorrento (changing in Naples), then return to the city most convenient to your Tuscany stay, which may or may not be Florence, assuming you will be picking up vehicles. Basically we need more info, but other than losing some time in transit, it is not too big a deal.

Posted by
32325 posts

Lori,

More information would be really helpful....

• what size of group will you have?
  • how are you planning to get around?
  • where in Tuscany were you planning to see?
  • where are you flying from? Does your 15 days include your two flights days?
  • is this your first trip to Italy?
Posted by
5 posts

I've been to Italy before (Florence, Rome & Sorrento). Florence was my favourtie! We are 10 people open regarding dates but thinking 14-16 days and probably not renting a vehicle. We might be staying in the Casentino Valley while in Tuscany.

Posted by
4811 posts

If you are going to have organized transport to and from the locale in Tuscany, it might make more sense to do that first, straight from the airport and then a return to Florence train station to get to Naples. Leaving Florence for last might make for easier logistics.
Without know how you plan to get around and exactly where, it is tough to advise.

Posted by
23562 posts

The confusion is that Florence is in Tuscany. So you are staying somewhere else in Tuscany in addition to the 4 days in Florence. Since Sorrento and Florence are on the opposite sides of Rome. Since you don't plan on any time in Rome, you might consider flying into Florence, train to Sorrento probably via Rome and flying home from Naples. That makes you travel logistics a little easier.

Posted by
6472 posts

GU?
I can usually figure these out, but not this one. Google didn't help, either. Thanks.

Posted by
36 posts

Fly into Florence, arrange transport to your Tuscany location/home base. Transport back to Florence for 4 days. Train to Sorrento.
Train to Naples or Rome for flight home depending on best options.

Posted by
27648 posts

Ten people in what sounds like a rural location in Tuscany without a vehicle doesn't sound like a good idea to me. I'd be bored out of my mind without a way to visit other towns.

Posted by
276 posts

And ten people means at least two (and maybe 3) vehicles.

Posted by
4105 posts

Lori,
I really think you need to look at how you're going to get to this area. unless you're all involved in hiking or biking you're going to need a driver or several cars to get around. Transportation in this area is almost nonexistent. Or takes forever.

Edit: either fly into Florence and out of Naples
Or R/T Rome. This option may cost less/ticket, but will consume valuable vacation days.

Posted by
11731 posts

We are 10 people

Five couples in your 30s-40s?

Multi-generational ranging from 3 to 80?

The group composition does affect the options

In which order would you travel them?

As already mentioned do a 'one way' through Italy, into Naples/out of Florence. Or the reverse to avoid backtracking

Posted by
16396 posts

Yep, knowing the ages your group is comprised of would be helpful. Knowing WHEN you're planning to do this would be helpful as well; for example, depending on what you want to do when you get there, the Sorrentine/Amalfi area isn't a great choice in winter.

Looks like there is train service into the Casentino Valley region from Arezzo up to Pratovecchio/Stia and some points in between. If wanting to stay in this area without vehicles, you'll want to be sure to book an accommodation IN a town and easy walking distance from a train station. Check locations on a map. Trying to move 10 people around at the same time will be a challenge so locations where people can head off on their own will be helpful. Seven days might also be much too long to stay this region, depending on everyone's interests.

The order that would probably make the most sense is Florence> Casentino Valley > Sorrento. Just off the top of my head, you'd take trains into the valley region from Firenze S.M. Novella to Arezzo and then regionale trains north into the valley villages/towns. Then a train back to Arezzo, train from Arezzo to Napoli, and then local transport (Circumvesuviana commuter train, hired driver, etc. ) to Sorrento.

If your flight from Naples is in the morning, you will want to stay in Naples the night before. Same for a flight from Rome.

(Edited a typo)

Posted by
5 posts

Thank you to everyone for all your replies, some great options. We are 40-50's age range and taking cooking classes and hiking in a very equipped beautiful villa in Tuscany so we won't be bored! I think our best bet would be to fly into Florence and go straight to Tuscany then back to Florence for a few days and then take the train to Naples and then ferry to Sorrento. Possibly fly out of Rome from Sorrento.

Posted by
11731 posts

Possibly fly out of Rome from Sorrento.

Be sure to go to Rome the day BEFORE your flight, if you choose this option .