Please sign in to post.

Italy

I’m planning a trip to Italy and have questions:
We are starting in Florence. Is it better to fly into Florence from California, with no direct flights, or fly directly to Rome, stay a couple of nights, then take the fast train to Florence?

We would like to explore the area outside of Florence. Is it better to rent a car? Take trains?
What are the best areas to visit?
Bologna, Siena, beaches, Multipulciano?,

Any hotel recommendations?
Thank you

Posted by
11723 posts

Knowing how much time you have in Italy would be helpful to be able to advise what areas are best to visit in the time you will have.

Posted by
5140 posts

...or fly directly to Rome, stay a couple of nights, then take the fast train to Florence?

Yes. Fly directly whenever possible. Less chance of Murphy's Law.

Posted by
3 posts

Thank you for your reply.
We are planning to fly nonstop to Rome Sept 1.
We will be going on a bike trip in Puglia and will fly from Florence to Brindisi on September 9th.

So I was thinking about spending a few nights in Rome and then taking the fast train to Florence.
I would like to spend a few days in Florence ( I have been there before a long time ago) then explore the countryside: Montepulciano? Siena?

Recommendations anyone?
Recommendations for hotels in Florence or Rome?

Posted by
6989 posts

Welcome- where are you flying home from?
Who is we?
When is this trip?

We need more details

A lot of your questions are answered in the forum- have you tried searching?
Be sure to Filter by Type and Date.

It looks like you will have 7 NIGHTS from arrival til flight from Florence to Brindisi. You want to see some of Rome and Florence and the Tuscan countryside.
7 NIGHTS gives you 6 days of sightseeing.
Florence deserves 3 nights, Rome needs 3 bare minimum and since your arrival/jet lag day is Rome I’d give Rome that 4th night.

For the Tuscan hill towns you really need a car and more than a day. You can do a day trip from Florence and see a bit.

2 options
Arrive Rome- what time?
Rome 4 nights gives you 3 full days
Train to Florence
Florence 3 nights w/day trip to Siena (or not)

Or
Arrive Rome
Rome 3 nights gives you 2 full days
Train to Florence
Florence 4 nights with 1, possibly 2 day trips

Make your list of must dos in each city- then decide
You are not there over a Monday so don't need to worry abut closures! (well your arrival am is a Mon but you don't want to be indoors that day)