Please sign in to post.

Italy By Vespa?

This looks like a great way to see Italy. But, we are looking for only a one or two day tour and can't seem to find that. Any tours out there that are only a day trip or so?

Thanks!

Posted by
10344 posts

Renting a vespa in Italy has come up before and here's that discussion: clickThis had even experienced motorcyclists concerned (on your behalf), as I recall.

Posted by
11507 posts

We will miss you, lol just say no to the Vespa Susan..LOL

Posted by
2207 posts

Susan, I ride a Yamaha 50cc scooter and a Piaggio 125cc scooter here in Rome - out of need! I would not recommend to the casual traveler to "rent" a motorino. Italians ride motorini much different then Americans ride motorcycles. Traffic laws are "optional" for motorini, at least in my experience. I had to adapt to not just my own interpretations, but those of every other driver on the road!

In the city I liken riding a motorino to the game "FROGGER." Most of the time YOU'RE the frog... and you spend your day trying not to get squashed! At other times, especially in crosswalks, you're on the other end of the scale! But either way, when you ride in city traffic you must be ALERT. Often times other motorino are your worst enemies as they will just cut in and around you. Driving aggressively is REQUIRED on a motorino in city traffic!

I'm not sure you could enjoy the "experience" unless you were accoustomed to the challenges...

Posted by
440 posts

Susan, if you are thinking of riding far from the madding crowd, so to speak, it is more feasible. There is a place in Florence which does 1 day tours. I have only ridden in Lipari and it was a buzz, but I had had a motor bike lesson (260cc)here first. Do some googling.

Posted by
2207 posts

OOPS - thought I posted this follow-up... Forgot to hit post!

Okay Susan - now I'll talk out of the other side of my mouth! If you really want to do the Vespa trip... do it in Tuscany or a "quiet location" with a group for support. There are many "scooter" tours out there. I've had friends who have done this and loved it.

THE DIFFERENCE is you're with a group and have a tour guide. They will take you on "select" routes, far from traffic and risk! Most often these are 5-8 day tours with bundled hotels, etc. THIS IS THE ONLY WAY I WOULD RECOMMEND TO TRAVEL ITALY BY VESPA!

I'm sure you can do your own search - here's some links my friends sent me - I have NO first-hand experience of these tours:

http://www.scooterbella.com/Tuscany-by-Vespa.html

http://www.italybyvespa.com/

Again, a structured tour is the ONLY way to do this if you're not a battle-tested motorino rider! Good Luck - and be careful!

Ciao,
Ron