Please sign in to post.

Italy by Rail

Hi guys🤗

Help needed please:

2 seniors, but active, love walking, local tavernas, inns etc., we do NOT FLY, and do NOT want to hire a car.

We want to travel from UK/Paris to Italy, using the Bernina express through Swiss Alps, and want to spen up to a fortnight in an Italian hotel, near a fishing port.

We would love a picturesque location, with views, and the ability to use local transport to visit other locations-bars, markets etc.

We are flexible on timings, but would like at least 3 star hotel/accommodation.

Any previous experiences would be preferable and intel woukd be greatly appreciated😇😇

Posted by
11361 posts

A few years ago we traveled London to Switzerland (specifically to Chur) to take the Bernina Express to Italy. You can do the London to Paris to Chur portion in one day, spend the night (or two) in Chur, then boarding the fabulous Bernina Express. Lots of info here https://www.seat61.com/trains-and-routes/bernina-express.htm#Bernina_Express_to_go_from_London,_Paris_or_Zurich_to_Italy.

As to where to find you dream spot in Italy, what time of year are you traveling? Liguria comes to mind for me but a lot depends on season.

Posted by
2979 posts

want to spen up to a fortnight in an Italian hotel, near a fishing port.

Italy's Cinque Terre

Posted by
16387 posts

I would not spend 2 nights in the Cinque Terre these days, let alone two weeks. The villages were way too crowded to be enjoyable for us 12 years ago, and have only gotten worse. And I doubt they can be called fishing villages these days; tourism is the dominant industry there.

Depending on the month of your visit, I would recommend one of the villages on the Apulian coast. They are linked by train. We spent time there last March and would love to go back to spend more time. Our favorite village was Monopoli, with its charming oldtown of white-washed houses. I don’t know how active the fishing industry is there, but we did see the fishing boats in the harbor, observed men carrying buckets of calamari, small octopi, and sea urchins around. One fisherman came by the restaurant where we were having lunch to drop off his recent catch in a bucket. You can do daytrips by train to the larger cities such as Lecce, known as the “Florence of the South”, and Bari, a major port city’s but also a fishing town.

I have a nice book on Puglia, and will check to see what they recommend as the most viable fishing village.

Further north, in Molise, I been attracted to the town of Termoli, but we haven’t made it there yet. It is becoming known as a resort town, but still retains its fishing village character,

http://www.madeinsouthitalytoday.com/termoli.php

It was the photos on this small hotel’s website that got my attention:

http://www.locanda-sangiorgio.it/en/

To avoid most of the summer beach crowd at any coast side town, plan your visit between September and May. If you start in London in mid-to-late September (our favorite time to be in London, thanks to the month-long Thamesfest), the timing should be good for both the Swiss Alps and the Italy coast.

https://thamesfestivaltrust.org/

It is too bad that Chioggia, near Venice, has become a cruise port, or I might have recommended that.

Posted by
827 posts

Hello adhall1949,

I would suggest looking at the area around the Cinque Terre and adjust your destination based on what looks right to you for size and access to what you're looking for.

There are a series of Ligurian towns north of CT from Portofino to Levanto which are all connected easily by rail and are no more than an hour apart end to end. Portofino and Santa Margherita are very fancy so work your way south to balance what you're looking for. Locals love Chiavari and we met an English couple on the train who had just spent a week in Sestri Levante and were planning on coming back next year for a two months.

South of CT is the southern coast of the Bay of La Spezia (aka the Bay of Poets) with the sleepier San Terenzo which is connected by an ocean front walk to the more resorty Lerici with it's castle and picturesque marina. Further south is tiny Tellaro and over the hill is Sarzana for small town charm, restaurants and shopping. All of these places are connected by bus to La Spezia and to each other. The tourists in this area are Italian tourists come to spend some part of their summer at the coast.

Hope that helps, have a great trip,
=Tod