Please sign in to post.

Italy ATM limits still around 250Euro?

Searching these boards archives it seems like 250-Euros was the max per ATM withdrawals on the Italian bank ATMs, even if you have higher limit. Wondered if anyone was there recently and found that to be true? (I assume if you needed more that same day you go to a second ATM down the block?) thanks!

Posted by
23276 posts

That is true. Or do a second transaction on the same ATM. I think it is more common in heavy tourist areas so that the ATMs are drained of cash. I have found ATMs in Rome attached to a bank during the week to not have this limit when we were there this fall. I have been able to withdraw 300 and 400 E. In Northern Europe I have routinely withdrawn 500E at a time.

Posted by
769 posts

Thanks Frank! I always appreciate your help!

Posted by
1018 posts

I have never had a problem with the Italian ATM's limiting my withdrawals. It has been my bank's limits that have placed a ceiling on such transactions. After one trip I contacted my bank and raised my daily limit to their maximum.

Buon viaggio,

RB

Posted by
492 posts

We found that it varies greatly from machine to machine, 250 was the lower limit per transaction, 300 or 350 seems to be more common now. It did seem to be a transaction issue so as long as your back has a high enough daily limi, just do a second transaction.

Posted by
153 posts

In addition to the lower limit - if you happen to be there on a long weekend, the machines might just run out. We had that happen, in Venice, over Easter.

Posted by
1170 posts

My experience has been a limit of 250 Euro per transaction with a total daily maximum limited by your own bank. Call your bank ahead of time to get your daily allowance increased.

Posted by
1201 posts

We saw a few at 250 but most were 350 per transaction.

Posted by
769 posts

Thanks all for the comments - hope i get to go this friday! I forgot to post I did check with my bank before I posted to verify the daily acct limit and raise it to meet at least 2x 250E withdrawals if needed.