Please sign in to post.

Italy April/May 2025

I'm planning a trip with my grown daughter next spring. I'm thinking we have 8-10 days and I'd like to go to Rome, Pompeii, and then end in Sardinia. I want good beach weather but fewer crowds. Easter is April 20 so I want to avoid Rome then. Any thoughts? I thought probably 3-4 days in Rome and 1-2 days in Pompeii and then the rest relaxing in Sardinia? I'm still looking for exactly where in Sardinia to stay and I will probably rent a car? Sounds like fly to Rome, train to Pompeii/Naples or private tour? I know Pompeii is really close to the Amalfi coast? I hear mixed reviews about the Coast-beautiful and way too crowded... I'm thinking I'd like Sardinia more? Is there any place to stay near Pompeii or would we have to go to Naples? I hear Naples is dirty and dangerous?

Thanks for any input,
Milray

Posted by
7799 posts

We were in Sardinia in April this year, and it was a good time to visit. There were certainly some other tourists, but it did’t feel crowded. We didn’t spend time at the beach, but did drive and walk where there were beach views, and some of the crashing waves were phenomenal. There were more bicyclists than surfers, but we saw both. If you want to get outside the city and see archaeological sights or more far-flung places, a car is a must.

We stayed in capital city Cagliari, and a charming town in the far southwest, Sant’Antioco, and a wonderful west coast town, Bosa. While old-town Bosa is 3 miles inland, a beach community right at the coastline has developed, with condos and sandy beaches (and big waves in places).

Posted by
7026 posts

You can stay in Pompeii or skip that trip and just add a day to Rome- day trip to Ostia Antica instead.
Naples would be a great choice- dirty and dangerous? Like so many cities?

How will you get to Sardinia? If you have to fly then staying in Rome or Naples is the better choice. Then you need to get back to your departure to US city the night before.
(No experience with Sardinia- can you fly home from there?)

Personally this would all be too much moving around for me.
8-10 days is very short. To get 3 or 4 days in Rome- you need 4 or 5 nights. That's half the trip.

There are other coastal locations on the Italian mainland that might interest you.
The Ligurian Coast is lovely and less crowded than AC or CT.