Please sign in to post.

Italy April 2019

Hi all! I have been following this forum for sometime now. I am planning a trip to Italy in 2019. Have been to Europe but first time to Italy. The original schedule was January, my birth month and will turn 60. However, now looking into April instead as this will also be a retirement trip for hubby. We are flying in and out of Rome and intend to visit only Florence and Rome area. Planned itinerary below:

April 17 - Arriving Rome about noon - take train to Florence,
April 18 to 21 - Florence,
April 22 - train Florence to Rome,
April 23 to 26 - Rome,
April 27 - Fly out.
Must see in Florence: Duomo/Accademia/Uffizi. Also found a day tour to Pisa that include pastry tasting in Lucca.
Must see in Rome : Vatican Museum with Sistine and St. Peter's/Colosseum/Pantheon/Heart of Rome. We want to take the Scavi Tour also and if there is time St. Paul's Basilica Outside the Walls.
Will purchase Rome - Florence train ticket upon arrival in Rome but will advance purchase tickets for Florence-Rome. We do not want a packed schedule so we can people watch while enjoying our gelato.
Would appreciate your comments. Beside the crowd, is there something we need to be aware and prepare for considering the dates are during Holy Week and Easter. Grazie!

Posted by
5687 posts

If you want to take the Pisa + Lucca day tour, go for it - but know that it's exceedingly easy to do it yourself, by train, from Florence.

I recommend a day trip to Siena from Florence as well - and a shorter day trip (just a local bus) to the charming little town of Fiesole near Florence.

Otherwise, looks like a fun trip.

There two (?) direct trains a day from the airport station at Rome FCO to Florence; otherwise, you'll need to change trains in Rome.