Please sign in to post.

Italy Adventure 9/2012

Hi Everyone.. Starting to plan our trip for September and rigth now I think I have our transportation and places to stay set. Just want to get your thoughts then I am gonna start the fun planning.Here it is in a nutshell :) Arrive Florence and stay for 4 nights Pick up rental car and drive to villa in Tuscany for 5 nights Return car to Florence and train to Naples (Sorrento) OR drive to Naples (Sorrento) return car. (which do think is better) Stay in Sorrento for 4 nights (side trips) *Train to Rome for 4 nights fly out of Rome Thanks everyone! Once I start planning the itinerary I will post to get all your expert opinions :) BW

Posted by
3603 posts

Hi Bev, We are doing a similar trip in May, and I have spent a lot of time trying to figure out the optimal method for the Tuscany - Sorrento component. Not so easy! I have concluded that by the time we drive to the Florence airport (don't want to chance running the ZTL's in the city), get a bus to the train station, and, at the other end, get the Circumvesuviana from Naples to Sorrento, we'll have balanced off the driving stress with the changing stress. Right now I'm leaning towards driving, because it's also a bit cheaper. Viamichelin estimates 5 hours driving; add in 1 1/2 hours for food refueling, etc., maybe 6 1/2. Note that so far, we've found it's hellaciously more expensive to return a car to Sorrento than to the Naples airport and impossible Sat.afternoon and ///////sunday. There is a private bus company, Curreri, that runs several times a day between the airport and Sorrento for (I think) 10 euros/pp.
Feel free to pm me about this or as other questions arise in your planning. Rosalyn

Posted by
8166 posts

You'd do best to fly into Pisa and take a train over to Florence. Then, pickup your rental car and stay in Tuscany taking day trips to Volterra, Siena and San Gim. Have you considered turning in the rental car at the Orvieto train station and going by train to your most southern cities? I've just heard the drive to Sorrento is just not very enjoyable. I would prefer spending time in Venice any day over Naples and Sorrento. I've been to Venice 5 times, and adore the place. We're doing London, Florence, Chianti, and Rome for Easter.