Please sign in to post.

Florence or another town for New Years Eve

Hello My husband and I are travelling with our adult daughter and her partner to Florence and will be there on new Years Eve.
I am wondering if anyone has been in Florence for News Year Eve?
I have read some mixed reports and am wondering if we would be better to go to a smaller town. we will have a car and no fixed plan as yet, other than flying in to Florence and out of Rome a week later.
I had wondered about Montepulciano.
If anyone has any suggestions or ideas it would be greatly appreciated.

Posted by
2475 posts

Are you aware of the restrictions on where you can take a car in Italy in general, and Florence in particular?

Posted by
2 posts

Yes, all good with the car restrictions. We will pick the car up at Florence airport and so won't need it in Florence proper. We have driven in Italy before and always parked the car in the car parks on the edge of the small towns and walked in. As you mention, it is something to be aware of.
I will check the link for Orvieto, Thank you.

Posted by
2475 posts

I was in Orvieto before, during, and after Christmas, and had a lovely time. The city had set up light projections on the buildings, which were fun to see, e.g., a field of gold stars on a blue background that appeared to be running across the pavement next to the Cathedral, and an image of the Cathedral’s rose window projected onto one of the towers. There was a market downtown where they were giving away vin brûlée. There were some very creative Nativity scenes in various places - there was one underground with life-sized animatronic people and beasts.

Posted by
616 posts

Florence is wonderful at New Year.
If 4, I would rather rent a nice apartment in the Centre ( might be noisy) or in Oltrarno, around Piazza Santo Spirito or Pitti, more quiet and authentic to my mind.