Please sign in to post.

Italy

Best/cheapest way of making telephone calls while in Italy

Posted by
290 posts

I see you believe in typing economy. You are asking a question, no? :) Generally speaking, if you have an iPad, netbook, laptop, iPod, iPhone (using wi-fi, unless you get a European data plan)... on any of these you can use Skype to call home. If the person you are calling also has Skype, then it is free. If they don't have Skype, a low per-minute rate applies. This is how I generally call people in the States. There are some cheaper ways out there, but this is easy and it's not outrageously priced. So, to call home using this method you will need access to wi-fi or a cable internet connection during your time here, and of course, a device on which you can use Skype. As I said, Skype calls other computers that have Skype, or it calls landlines or cell phones. If you have an Apple device such as an iPod, iPad, or iPhone (again, using wi-fi, or with a European data plan), then you can also use FaceTime to call someone else who has an Apple device. This is free. I have used this before also and it works quite well. Beyond this, there are calling cards that you can buy in Tabacco shops to make calls through landlines, but I have no experience with those.

Posted by
3551 posts

For sure phone cards and use them on public telephones, if they are still around where you are going.

Posted by
11294 posts

"Best" and "cheapest" are two different things. Here's some things that people need to know to give you some answers: Did you want to call local Italian numbers, or call back to the US, or both? Do you want others to be able to call you from the US? Or are other methods, such as text or e-mail, sufficient? How many calls do you plan to make - just a few short ones to check in, or frequent and/or lengthy ones? Will you be staying in accommodations with land line telephones? Or do you need to make calls when you're not in your accommodation? Will you be making calls when you are not in a WiFi area? The more details you give, the better we can help you.

Posted by
14 posts

You're right....I want to call to the US occasionally. IPhone to either mobile smart phone, landline, and/or computer. Depends on what people have? Also very much want to be able to call ahead while in Italy to make room reservations AND train reservations.

Posted by
32909 posts

Somebody else here correct me please, if needed... I've never heard of being able to obtain Italian train reservations (are you using a railpass?) by phone...