Please sign in to post.

Italy

Looking to travel to Italy in august. Where should I visit in southern Italy? COVID protocols?

Posted by
1441 posts

What do you enjoy doing?
What do you wanna see?
What's your budget? Italy isn't a cheap country to travel in.
Will you reply on public transit?

I suggest the Amalfi coast and Naples. Beautiful seaside towns with excellent public transit options. Driving is also ok.

Posted by
6 posts

Hi
Thank u for responding.
I thought it was a little cheap.
Rome, Naples,Pompei, the southern coast. I was thinking train and public transit in the cities.
Or walk of course around town.

I found a great rate for airfare.

Posted by
1441 posts

First, make sure that your airfare has a generous cancellation policy. Ditto for hotel bookings. Who knows how the pandemic evolves over time?

Second, I think your choice of cities is reasonable. They are along the main rail line. Driving in Italy is quite a hassle. Mind you, it will be hot and humid in August.

Third, I suggest you bring masks and lots of hand sanitizers.

Posted by
402 posts

A couple of comments - have you been to Italy before? If not, Naples might come as a bit of a shock - it is certainly "Grittier" than other cities. I really like it, but it is not to everyones liking. Many choose to stay elsewhere - for example Sorrento which has good transport links to Naples as well as Pompei and Herculaneum (plus the buses along the Amalfi coast).

The second would be how do you handle heat. The south in August will be warm. The historical sites of Pompeii are mostly open and there is little shade.

The third thing to be aware of , is that August is peak holiday season and prices will reflect that, particularly in the seaside towns.
I used to visit the town of Castellabate in the Cilento National park about 70 miles south of Naples. We regularly rented an apartment that cost us around €300 for the week in March or October. The Owner used to get €1500 a week in late July and August.

Posted by
6 posts

Hi I’ve been to Italy but not southern. I already had COVID in December before shots were available.. I have my shots now. As I understand it, I need a COVID Neg 48 hours before I leave USA and then another COVID test at airport in Rome when I arrive.
I won’t be traveling by car.
I will have a back pack... any suggestions on a good one for 12 days of traveling?
That is expensive. I was hoping to pay $50 a night somewhere the entire time I’m there. I didn’t realize it’s so expensive. I don’t need to star sea side.

Posted by
1078 posts

The Rick Steves Classic backdoor bag is $80.00, or cheaper if you watch the weekly sales. My wife's back door bag is 10 years old and still looks and works great. The Rick Steves Guidebook will give you a listing of places to stay in all price ranges, also it will give you directions via trains and buses for getting around.

$50.00 a night at the Amalfi coast will be difficult unless you can find a hostel or private residence with a room to rent. Florida Hostel and Retreat is in Sorrento and if you don't mind dorm sleeping has AC and a swimming pool, lockable lockers, etc and is $49.00 a night. Bring a good wide brimmed hat, the sun can be brutal in August. The covid protocols will probably change weekly up until you leave so you need to check in weekly with the airline to stay up to date.

I hope you have a great adventure!! When you get back be sure to post your experience here for the rest of us.

Posted by
1441 posts

Donald is so right about AC. You need it!!!! Most hotels have it, but some don't.

About backpacks--I highly recommend a visit to REI to try various models on your own, with a load inside the bag. It's like trying on shoes. What works for me may not work for you.

Posted by
1662 posts

Hi Sloan,

You didn't specify if you will be staying in Rome for a few days or just arriving at the airport and then taking the train south to other cities or towns.

If you plan on staying in Rome for a bit and want to be economical for sleeping accommodations, check out the beehive hostel https://www.the-beehive.com/dorms-rooms

It is owned by an American couple but they have been in Rome for many years. Their rates dorm style, if you don't mind sharing, are pretty low for a few nights. Nothing fancy. I think they serve breakfast every morning.

Since you will be traveling with only a backpack, it seems hostels should work good for you.

Book direct if you're interested and always, always read the terms and conditions and fine print of any website.

To me, Sicily was not expensive if you stay away from the touristy restaurants and the larger hotels with fancy perks. I'm not familiar with Naples.

If you visit the Cinque Terre; especially in August, prices will be higher.

Another thing, in Rome, if you stay closer to the Termini area, hotels can be lower than staying directly in the city centre.

Many hotels serve a free breakfast included in the price of your room.

There are many cafes and small shops and even markets like IperSimply, Carrefour and even the big food court at Termini. Grab a ready-made sandwich or two or anything else.

A lot of restaurants in Rome are relatively fair in pricing. Pizza, or a bowl of pasta, with a vino or birra can be under 15€. Coke, which seems to be plentiful in Italy can be more expensive than a beer. Water in restaurants at meals is not expensive.

If you stop at a cafe for espresso or a little drink, don't sit at a table unless you want to pay extra.

No tipping in Italy is needed.

You can bring an empty water bottle and fill it up for free at the designated drinking fountains -- (Nasoni) -- I think you can still download an app or website to find where they are located.

A lot of hotels especially in Rome provide daily, free bottled water in each hotel room. I don't know if that is the same for hostels.

Posted by
1662 posts

Trains are not that expensive traveling around Italy.

It may be a good idea to search within the forum for some insight.

Go to search box at the top, put in specific key words.
To narrow it further, you can select a time frame -- such as "2 or less years" -- lots of good info and experiences.

Posted by
2975 posts

Am assuming you’ll fly in and out of Rome where I would begin the journey and also make sure you allow one day for Vatican City. Do sleep in the Trastervere neighborhood that's a 30-minute train ride from the airport. If you can’t find a reasonably priced hotel or Airbnb in Trastervere, take Rick Steves’ self-guided walking tour that appears in his Rome guidebook. You can purchase an electronic version on his app.
You can take a non-stop train from Rome’s Termini station to Naples (1h 15m) and try to sleep in the Spanish quarter. I would also buy Rick Steve’s Naples & Amalfi Coast guidebook that features self-guided walks of the Archaeological Museum and the town center.
Note: if visiting Naples and the Amalfi Coast you’ll experience more aggressive thieves. For example, when I was buying my ferry ticket in Naples to go to Sorrento, a guy began unzipping my backpack. A friend I was traveling with pulled out five Euros and offered it to his partner in crime who was a young woman to keep him away which she did. Once we were inside the gate, all was good. It’s outside the ferry terminal where you have to be vigilant.
From Naples you can take a direct train from Napoli Centrale to Paestum (1h 15m) if you’re interested in a day trip to see well-maintained Greek temples.
It would be ideal if you could take a ferry from Naples to Positano, but I don’t know if it’s currently running. If ferry service is operating, you’ll need to transfer in Sorrento to get to Positano and make Positano your home on the Amalfi Coast. If not, you’ll need to take the circumvesuviana train from Naples to Sorrento and a bus from Sorrento to Positano. Fortunately, the bus station stop is across the street from the train station. Sit on the right side of the bus facing the driver (passenger side). This will allow your first glimpse of the Amalfi coast.
Note: the circumvesuviana is another place that’s loaded with thieves, however, I had no problem riding it. Do be extra careful if transporting luggage.
From Positano take a bus to Amalfi and explore the town before hopping on a bus to Ravello (30-minutes) for the view. Instead of taking a bus back to Amalfi, walk instead (45-minutes). You can take a ferry back to Positano (30-minutes).
Note: after I arrived in Amalfi, I began looking for something in my purse. A man out of nowhere appeared in front of me and said if there was anything I needed he would help. I didn’t like the fact that I had my purse open and a stranger appeared out of nowhere. I quickly closed it and moved away.
Other day trips from Positano include Sorrento and Capri. If you can take a ferry from Positano to Sorrento that’s even better and a bus back to Positano. This way you’ll enjoy spectacular views both ways. You’ll also be impressed with your bus drivers driving skills. It’s well worth the experience to watch how he/she can pass through tight spaces without hitting anything. Of course, the only way you can go to Capri is by ferry (45-minutes).
Note: when visiting the Blue Grotto on Capri, the guide who took me inside this dark cave tried putting his hand in my purse. Best not to carry anything you have to set down.
From Positano you can take a ferry to Salerno (1h 30m) and then a direct train to Rome (2h 15m). I would sleep in a different neighborhood if spending your last night in Rome. You may also want to stay near the airport.

Posted by
4105 posts

Hi Sloan, rather then staying ON the Amalfi, check out Salerno for your lodging. I think you'll find it much less expensive. You'll have easy bus and ferry to visit the coast, and it's only a 38 minute train ride to Naples. You also have access to the Cilento Coast a bit further south by regional trains. Towns like Paestum (Greek Temples) Agripoli, Pisciotta and Palinuro.

Posted by
6 posts

Thank you for all the suggestions. I will arrive in Rome 8am , spend 2 nights head south by train to I think out inside Naples/ Salerno (visit Pompei and Herc) should I visit anywhere between Rome and Naples for a night? Eventually head to Sicily. Where should I visit in Sicily? After Sicily.. I’m open to suggestions. Is there a boat from Italy’s lower boot to Athens?

Southern Italy to Venice and then back to Rome to fly out. Looking at 14-15 days total.
I would like to do the train for most if not all of the trip.

Sloan

Posted by
3812 posts

Eventually head to Sicily.

There are ferries from Naples and Salerno to Sicily. This way you'd save one night.

Is there a boat from Italy’s lower boot to Athens?

The ferry from Bari, the heel of the Boot, takes 16 hours to get to Patras, a city that's 150 kms away from Athens.

If you bothered to get a guide and look at a map, you'd immediately learn that Sicily is in front of the tip and that the tip of the Boot is too far from Greece to get there by boat. You should fly from Sicily to either Bari, Brindisi or Ancona to embark. Obviously you'd fly from Sicily to Greece, saving time and money.

Southern Italy to Venice and then back to Rome to fly out. Looking at 14-15 days total.

No more Greece?

Ok, then Try to fly in Venice and out of Sicily or Rome. Avoid backtracking up and down the Peninsula. High speed trains are fast, not free.

14 days are not enough to waste 12+ hours on a train from Sicily to Venice and then 4 hours and something on another train from Venice to go back to Rome and fly out.

As a side note, since You said you wanted to save money note that Venice is one of the most expensive destinations in Europe.

Posted by
11211 posts

Trying to cover Venice, Rome, Naples and Sicily in 14 days will result in spending a lot of time 'going' to somewhere and little time 'being there'.

I have not been to Sicily, but the vast majority of comment I have read here are that trying to do Sicily in less than 2 weeks is not the best choice.

If you must fly in/out of Rome do your days in Rome at the end of your trip. With an 8 AM arrival you have plenty of time to go on to either Venice or Naples on arrival day.

You can fly Venice-Naples for less than $50

Good luck

Posted by
2975 posts

No need to stop between Rome and Naples. As you get closer to Naples, you’ll see how poverty stricken the rural area is.
Since you’re visiting Pompeii, it’ll be more convenient from Naples. You’ll need to catch the circumvesuvia train from the Porta Nolana or Garibaldi stations (the latter is located on the lower level of the Centrale station which is the same train station that you arrived at from Rome). To reach Pompeii, get off at Pompei Scavei – Villa dei Misteri (45-minutes). Following is the link that provided this information: https://www.visitpompeiivesuvius.com/en/naples-to-sorrento-train-schedule.
On your way back to Naples from Pompeii, you can stop at the Ercolino Scavi station that’s a 15-minute walk to Herculaneum (3rd stop).
I like Gerri’s idea of sleeping in Salerno because it’ll make the logistics easy, especially since it’s a direct 45-minute train ride from Naples. However, there is no ferry from Salerno to Sorrento, but there is to Positano (1h 15m) and then take a bus to Amalfi along the scenic stretch of the Amalfi road. You can then take a bus from Amalfi to Salerno.
The two top places to see in Sicily are Palermo and Siracusa. Because there's no direct ferry service from Salerno to Siracusa, I recommend Palermo, departing Salerno at 12:30a and arriving in Palermo at 10a.
In Palermo I would take a 30-minute bus to Monreale to see the cathedral. I would also take a direct train to Cefalu for the day (1h). While in Cefalu, eat the cannolis, they don't get any better than this.

Posted by
4105 posts

There are ferries to both Positano and Sorrento
From Salerno. On most ferries, you will change ferries in Amalfi and continue on from there.

Ferry routes for Positano, Amalfi, and Salerno run during the tourist season from the beginning of April through October. During the winter months, the only ferry routes active are those between Sorrento and Naples, and Naples or Sorrento and the islands of Capri and Ischia (departing from Naples for Ischia and Sorrento and from Sorrento for Capri). There is no Amalfi Coast ferry from Sorrento or ferry service between Positano and Capri in winter
Duration of the main routes

Salerno - Positano Ferry: 1 hour and 15 minutes
Positano - Capri Ferry: 50 minutes
Amalfi - Positano Ferry: 20 minutes
Amalfi - Positano Ferry: 20 minutes
Sorrento - Positano Ferry: 30 minutes

The bus presents the same change at Amalfi to continue on to Sorrento. During high season the bus will not follow the coast road in some instances but head up to the hills after Positano.

Posted by
4105 posts

Is there any way you could change your flight to arrive Venice?

If not, consider this itinerary...

Arrive Rome, take the first available train to Venice. 4H03m. €75,90. Stay 3 nights. Check out these for lodging.

https://www.monasterystays.com/?d=Italy/Veneto/Venice-accommodation

Fly Venice to Palermo 1H40m/Catania 1H45m.
Use Ryan Air or Volotea Air. Both very inexpensive. 4 nights either area.

Fly either city to Naples. 55m. - 1H10m.
Easyjet and Volotea. Very cheap fares, 4 nites Naples. This is in a good area and just a little above your budget.
http://www.booking.com/Share-BKdf2pt

Train Naples-Rome 1H16m €38,90.
3-4 nites Rome. Beehive is a good suggestion for Rome.

This will end up saving you both time and $$.

Posted by
27202 posts

In addition to a few days not being enough time to see much of Sicily, you'll almost certainly be dealing with miserable August heat. I adore Sicily but recommend that you spend your time elsewhere on this trip.

However, it is true that costs are rather low down there.

Posted by
6 posts

Thank you.
I’ve had a change of plans and will due Italy later this year.
I’ve decided to go to Merida, Valladolid and Telumn in Mexico. If anyone’s been there please let me know !

Posted by
19 posts

Thank you all for your replies. I’m actually planning a very similar trip in September, with a similar budget and backpack plan. So much of the above info is very helpful!
Any words of wisdom about where I should have my home base for hiking Pathway of the Gods and Amalfi coast and around Sorrento? I won’t have a car so it needs to be a place with easy access to ferry/train/bus services