Please sign in to post.

Italy 2025 Jubilee Year – would you still go?

I’ve been planning to go back to Italy in March next year, mostly Venice and Florence with a couple of days in Rome (flying in/out from there). I’m not planning to visit the Vatican this time. I had forgotten about the Jubilee Year – had not even heard of this event until reading about it a few months ago. At first, I thought this was something that would primarily have an impact on Rome/Vatican City, but the more articles I read from different sites, the more it seems that this might mean significantly more crowds in all major tourist cities in Italy.

Is anyone else concerned or second-guessing Italy next year?

Posted by
4434 posts

I don't see how the big three could get any more crowded than they already are, but this does seem to be a Catholic-focused event.

Go beyond the big three--so much to see!

Posted by
2376 posts

I know, but my husband really wants to see Florence and I want to see Venice again.

Posted by
4434 posts

I'd not be super concerned about March or the jubilee--go where your heart desires!
I would only second guess the main areas in summer, generally speaking.

Posted by
2376 posts

That's kind of what I was thinking too. March is still sort of kind of a bit shoulder-season-ish, in as much as shoulder season exists in Italy any more.

Posted by
4340 posts

I don't know how much this will affect the crowds, but the European Bone Marrow Transplant meeting will be in Florence March 22-25.

EDITED: The meeting is actually Mar 30-Apr 2. It's a good thing I checked that instead of depending on someone else to give me accurate information. I should have talked to his keeper(aka Administrative Assistant) at work.

Posted by
150 posts

I am going to Rome in late February. Wouldn’t do it in summer, Jubilee or no Jubilee.

Posted by
3519 posts

European Bone Marrow Transplant meeting will be in Florence March 22-25.

I will make sure to get there for that! /s

Posted by
656 posts

I looked this up when I heard the Pope spoke about it in his Jan 2024 NY address, 5 MILLION pilgrims are expected for the Jubilee year. As you say, March is no longer shoulder season, but it is early in the year, so if you want, just go for it. Can you do a multi-leg trip, arrive into Venice, depart from Rome? Get your lodging ASAP, make plans for meals & advance tickets ahead of time...

Posted by
1699 posts

Yes. Just back from a trip to Italy ourselves. We basically made most stuff up as we went, based on weather etc...
So first went to Florence and did the usual things there, but got a bit fed up with the crowds. So next stop was Elba. And we quite liked it there. Then we decided that on the way back we needed to stop over somewhere, so we decided to break for two nights in Genoa, as we hadn't been there. And that was a very pleasant surprise as well.
We may go back to Genoa, go back to Elba, and maybe go back to the Tuscan countryside.

Posted by
4884 posts

Not sure where Sandancisco got his numbers, but I'm seeing predictions of 35 million pilgrims in Rome for the Jubilee year. And since the Jubilee is centered on the Vatican and St Peters, all of them will spend time in Rome. In addition to regular tourists. Some, but only some, will also visit other cities. Not unreasonable to expect Rome to be slammed , and the other usual tourist spots to have some uptick in visitor numbers. But March is early enough that I doubt the other places will be overly crowded.