Please sign in to post.

Italy 2025 Jubilee - does this affect smaller cities in Emilia-Romagna, Abruzzo, Umbria, etc.?

Currently I am tentatively considering finishing the solo trip next year that stopped two months ago due to an unexpected family death. Before I go too far into consideration for planning, does anyone have information about the effects of the Catholic Jubilee year outside of the city of Rome? Should I be avoiding Assisi? Other smaller cities? I am thinking Stresa, Cremona, Spoleto, or Spello sized cities for most of the itinerary.

I could loop through Malpensa’s airport to avoid even going to Rome. I won’t be staying in Venice, Florence or Rome.

Thanks!

Posted by
17225 posts

Hi Jean, I cannot answer the question with any authority, but we were planning a trip to Tuscany and Umbria, plus Molise and San Marino, for next April, flying into Florence and out from Bologna. I had no trouble finding and booking nice lodging in Assisi, San Gimignano, and Siena; for Termoli in Molise the Albergo Diffuso company said “write us again in January; we don’t think about 2025 until then”.

Then an opportunity cam up for hiking in the Dolomites in July, and we could do both trips, so we canceled the April one. But based on my experience you should not have any difficulty booking lodging if you start looking now.

Posted by
898 posts

Hey Jean, how wonderful you're considering planning another trip, that's great. I've been thinking about this ever since I heard the Pope's NY speech about gearing up for the expected FIVE MILLION pilgrims in 2025! (I looked it up, they had 7,000 pilgrims a few years ago.) Just thinking out loud, it's safe to assume some spillover to other Catholic sites & churches. The one place on your list I would consider avoiding in 2025 is Assisi, which is jammed during peak travel times anyway. Good luck with your plans, hope that's helpful. (I would still like to see a video showing us how you never unpack and departing a hotel is as easy as heading out for the day...)

Posted by
5322 posts

Jean, the official events related to the Jubilee all occur in Rome and are spread out over the year. Of course many pilgrims attending Jubilee events will also visit other cities and towns in Italy; but I would be surprised if they had any significant impact on the usual tourist numbers in the places you expressed interest in.

Posted by
7646 posts

Sandanciso - ”(I would still like to see a video showing us how you never unpack and departing a hotel is as easy as heading out for the day...)”

Maybe we could set up a simulation during one of the international Zoom travel group meetings, and people could time me! ; ). I think it mostly comes down to being highly organized plus not bringing much for clothing. I’m not doing a capsule wardrobe so there’s no decisions being made - just pulling out a dress or the rotation of the next shirt (out of 4). The open clamshell of the Cotopaxi keeps everything visible behind mesh zippered areas, so there’s no need to pull anything out or scramble around in a suitcase looking for something. Not bringing much certainly helps, too. I bring a second pair of footwear for special events, but usually it’s just putting my Keen Rose sandals back on after a shower,

In the morning, it’s my Tom Bihn “tray” drawstring pulled tight & my LLBean toiletry kit as the only two items back inside the bag. My nightgown goes in the top front zipper, and I’m out the door.

Posted by
7646 posts

Lola, I’m one of those early reservations for lodging, too. : ) I’m mainly concerned with how busy or how this would affect the normal activities of the smaller towns.

Posted by
7646 posts

CJean, that’s good to hear! Rome was so busy when I had a few nights passing through it for my May trip that I’m planning to avoid it, if practical, during this possible trip in 2025.

Posted by
898 posts

Hey Jean,

Maybe we could set up a simulation during one of the international Zoom travel group meetings, and people could time me! ; )

I'm forwarding that idea for our next Zoom meeting!!!

Posted by
14544 posts

Hey Jean, Maybe we could set up a simulation during one of the international Zoom travel group meetings, and people could time me! ; ) I'm forwarding that idea for our next Zoom meeting!!!

Well, darn. I was looking forward to videoing Jean in the bakery location of our monthly meet up and working on my YouTube skills (of which I have none, hahaha).

-->Back to the main topic here!