Please sign in to post.

Italy 2023 Sep/Oct

Hello

We are planning our first visit to Italy next fall!
September or October - does either make a big difference for crowds and weather?

Planning to start on Venice and end out Rome.

Tentative itinerary as follows:

Fly into Venice
Venice - 3 days (jet lag one day)
Dolomites - 2 days
Florence - 3 days (Cinque Terre - 1 day)
Rome - 3 days
Fly out of Rome

Are we thinking this is too much? We really want to see the Dolomites, Florence, and the Colosseum, Vatican per and Trevie Fountain.

We are then doing to Greece after Italy with another 11 days.

Thanks!

Posted by
7243 posts

If it’s possible, I would add another day to the Dolomites. It will take you some time to get there, so it only gives you a day and a half at the most to enjoy the hiking and charming villages.

If you’re traveling by train, you can see the travel time on www.trenitalia.com
Venice is Venezia
Florence is Firenze
Rome is Roma

I’ve been to Italy several times in September, and the weather has been good - sometimes very hot. The crowds will still be at the three popular cities - Venice, Florence, Rome. I haven’t been there in October to provide feedback.

Posted by
1090 posts

October is definitely my favorite month to travel to Italy. I think that the order that you are traveling is great, but I do agree it would be better if you can add a night to the Dolomites. Ortisei is a fantastic place to stay and you can hike both Seceda and Alpe di Siusi- just make sure you check the lift schedule because it does close down mid October.

Personally I would cut the day trip to Cinque Terre. There is so much to see and do in Tuscany and that is a long out of the way day trip to a tourist trap.

Posted by
755 posts

September is generally hotter than October and I have experienced rain and thunderstorms in October, but it depends on where you are.
You have a fairly rushed trip, and if it was me, I would save Greece for another time, but if you are youngish/energetic and an experienced traveler go for it.

Posted by
4822 posts

I agree with the previous posters. You would do well to add another day for the dolomites. And the CT will still be inundated by cruise ship tourists. Either stay in Florence or visit another Tuscan town - maybe Siena or Lucca. You wouldn't go wrong by adding another day to Rome, either.

September will still be crowded, and likely still hot. Early/mid October will have better odds of somewhat lower crowds and more moderate weather.