Please sign in to post.

Italy 2012 Itinerary - Couple of Questions

I have asked several questions on this board and the answers have been so helpful, thank you. Now, I would like to post my itinerary, because I am unsure in a spot. Suggestions appreciated. Thanks! 9 Nights in Italy Dec. 22 - 2pm, arrive in Rome (find hotel, get adjusted, maybe do the night walk RS suggests) Dec. 23 - Visit big Roman sights Dec 24 - Vatican Dec. 25 - Day trip to Bracciano Dec. 26 - Day trip to Pompeii Dec. 27 - Travel to Florence, stop at Pisa and Lucca Dec. 28 - Major Florence sights Dec. 29 - More Florence? Smaller Tuscan town (really liked Volterra in the RS video)? Go on to Venice? Dec. 30 - Venice
Dec. 31 - Venice and fly out of Venice airport We are pretty set on the Rome part of the journey and plan to do all those things, and hopefully fit in a few more. We are young, and this is my husband's first time in Europe. It gets a little muddy when we get to Florence. I originally had three days there, but after doing a lot of reading and watching RS's videos, I am not so sure. I am also thinking of staying in a smaller Tuscan town for all three days (Volterra was very intriguing in the video) and day tripping to Florence. I am also thinking of cutting a day from Florence and adding it to Venice. We were originally not going to go to Venice at all, and have 5 days Rome, 4 days Florence, but I changed that after reading through RS's books, but now I am wondering if I should change more. Our hotel is set in Rome. I booked through booking.com for Florence and have free cancellation. I am hoping if I decide another day in Venice that the hotel I chose will be available. Any thoughts appreciated. Esp. if you have stayed in a small Tuscan town. We were planning to use the train system, but would consider renting a car in Tuscany. Thanks!!

Posted by
4152 posts

Personally, I think you're trying to see too much in too little time. You only have 8 full days and you're planning on visiting 7 cities. I would cut the itinerary by at least half in order to actually see the cities you'll be visiting. From the looks of things you'll spend most of your vacation on the train getting to and from the cities you plan to see. I would cut out all of the day trips and add at least another day to Rome, Florence and Venice. Don't fall into the trap of thinking that you can see most of the country in just a few short days. You need to take into account the travel time, the time it takes to change hotels and the time it takes to get to and into the sites. Donna

Posted by
891 posts

Ashley, I would check the Vatican to see if it's going to be open for tourists on Dec 24. I know that around some Catholic holidays it's closed to the public in preparation for the religious holiday celebration. The other thing that you might want to take into consideration is the fact that there may be a lot of Italian tourists in Rome for the holiday. I haven't been there at Christmas, but I was there at Easter one year and it was extremely crowded which meant it took longer on the public transportation and restaurant/cafes were crowded, also. Have a Great trip!
Mimi

Posted by
381 posts

I have to agree with the first poster. You are trying to see way too much and over too much area. I would sugget at most you go to Rome, Florence and Vencie. spend 3 days room, 2 days Florence and 2 days Venice. Leave the extra day for travel between places. I think even this schedule is agressive since there is so much to see. Remeber the first day is really lost because of the time you are getting in and because you will be tired. If you want your husband to enjoy it and want to go back make it more realistic.

Posted by
47 posts

Hi Ashley, I definitely think you should add more days to Venice (3-4 days total). I have been to Florence. I thought it was okay at best. Not as enthralling as Venice or Rome. For 9 nights in Italy, I would focus on Venice and Rome and save Florence for another trip. You could easily daytrip from Rome to Orvieto or Ostia Antica. Pompeii is a bit far for your timeframe and requires a full day commitment. In Venice you could easily daytrip to Padua (which I found to be almost as enigmatic, and alluring as Venice) or any number of cities in the Veneto. Best of luck, Elle

Posted by
7737 posts

How exciting to be in Rome for Christmas! Be sure to check out Ron In Rome's excellent info on that: Rome for the Holidays And I agree. You're trying to do too much. Throw in the fact that you might get crappy weather at that time of the year, I would suggest cutting out all the daytrips (esp. Pompeii). You can always keep them in your back pocket on the off-chance you get bored in one of the Big Three cities. Happy travels.

Posted by
3607 posts

Is there some special reason for a day trip to Bracciano? I believe it's a place where a lot of Romans have 2nd homes, and nothing special for tourists. In addition to the warning about Dec. 24, be aware that Dec. 26 is a big holiday, and many things will be closed. I would check carefully on what attractions will be open and on whether transportation to them will be running.

Posted by
1994 posts

I agree with all above re probably too much in too few days. I'd also suggest you consider reversing your trip, starting in Venice. Given that many sites will be closed Dec 24/25/26, Venice strikes me as the most appealing place to just wander; I could enjoy a visit there even if most sites are closed. In Florence or Rome, I'd be more dependent on visiting sites. Re time in Florence vs Venice, it depends on your interests. It sounds like you're making the decisions based on what guidebooks say, which is probably the best approach.

Posted by
22 posts

Thanks for the replies. We are going to Bracciano because the only thing my husband asked for on this trip was to see an Italian castle, and everything in Rome will be closed (it is Christmas), but the castle is open. One of the main reasons we are going to Pompeii is because almost everything in Rome will be closed the 26th as well, but Pompeii is open. Being in Rome on Christmas is the reason we are going in the first place, as we want to participate in the Catholic festivities. I think I will look into adding that day to Venice and take the day from Florence. We cannot add any days, nor can we change where we are flying in or out. We already have the tickets. Thanks!

Posted by
11363 posts

Hello Ashley. We spent all of Deember 2011 in Italy, before we moved here this spring. Rome is great fun for Christmas. Just wandering around and enjoying the crowds, the "scene" is entertainment. The Vatican Museums, if that is your objective. will be open Dec 24. Get tickets in advance and go early. If you take a guided tour (recommended) you will be able to go right into St. Peter's Basilica from the Sistine Chapel. In the case the Basilica is off-limits due to preparations, it will be open other days and it opens at 8:30AM, which is a great time to go. Take a nap so you are ready for a late night on Christmas Eve, and MAKE RESERVATIONS for dinner. Very important for the 24th and 25th. December 25 if Bracciano is open, by all means go, but triple check trains and busses. In Rome itself, you can visit the Ghetto (normal business day overall), the Presepi Museum at the Church of Santi Quirico e Giulitta, Via di Tor de' Conti, 31, nearby the Colosseum, and the "100 Presepi" exhibit at Piazza del Popolo's Sala del Bramanta. The lights are great in Piazza Venezia, the Nativity in Piazza San Pietro is stunning at night. These are all options for the 26th, too. On the 26th, the Colosseo, Foro Romano and Palatino are open, and via Fori Imperiali is closed to traffic and becomes a big pedestrian promenade.

Posted by
11363 posts

Part II I loved Pompeii in the winter. We had a cold but clear day. I don't think I'd enjoy the long daytrip from Rome, but do as you will. Don't bother if it's raining, though. I think you'd be miserable. Have an alternate plan. :-) With only a week in Italy, I'd concentrate on Rome and Venice, but I have an idea for you if you want to experience a hilltown. Assisi, in Umbria, is a pretty easy shot from Rome. Go there for one night, the 27th, then on to Venice. You can arrive Assisi early, take R.S. self-guided tour, spend the night, then on to Venice on the 28th. I agree with others: you could use more time in Venice.