Please sign in to post.

Italy

My wife and I are going to Italy for the 1st time in August. We have to be in Rome from the 11th - 15th. What would be the best way to see Rome, Venice, Florence, and Cinque Terre? We can fly into any one of these cities arriving the 7th. We were at 1st going to stay on the Amalfi Coast from the 7th - 11th. Then thought Cinque Terre would be better logistically.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Posted by
1540 posts

Congrats on your trip to Italy. There is so much to see in Italy...... I would recommend getting Rick Steves' book on Italy. He covers Rome very well and even has all the neighborhoods described and explained. He has lists of recommended hotels at various price ranges. ------------- There are described walks, sites, how much things cost etc.
It is an excellent place to start your planning.

Posted by
650 posts

Rob From the Amalfi coast to Florence by will take about 3.5-4 hours(Local train from Sorrento- then fast train to Florence). You could spend 2 days there and then Cinque Terre from Florence(CT-research and make a reservation as some of the towns are still under construction from the flood last year) .
Going from Amalfi coast to Cinque Terre is a long train ride (could be up to 8 hours). Flying from Naples to Florence then train to Cinque Terre is an option. Check train schedules as I think this is best option - cheapest as well as better time wise - getting to and from airports etc.

Posted by
4152 posts

I would suggest flying into Rome and leaving from Venice or the other way around. This will eliminate back tracking. The route should probably be Rome, Forence, CT, Venice or reverse depending on which you fly into. If your dates are 7-15 you really only have 7-8 days in country so you might want to just visit two of the cities (areas) you have listed. Otherwise, you'll be changing hotels every day or so. Donna

Posted by
2788 posts

You did not say when you are leaving Italy. Knowing how long you have can get you better answers.

Posted by
5 posts

thanks everyone for their input I like the idea of flying into Venice on the 7th. Cinque Terre the 8th-11th including a quick day trip to Florence/Pisa. Then heading to Rome on the 11th. We have to be there from the 11th - 15th. We will fly out of Rome the 15th.

Posted by
15604 posts

If I understand correctly, you have 4 days before Rome, including the day you arrive. Unless you plan to stay at least 2 nights in Venice, it doesn't make sense to fly there. It will take you the better part of a day to get from Venice to the CT. Either drop the CT or drop Venice. Without Venice, fly into Florence. Spend a day or two, then on to the CT and thence to Rome. It takes too long to go between the CT and Florence for a day trip in either direction. Without the CT, fly into Venice, 2 nights. Spend day 3 in Venice and take an evening train to Florence, maximizing your sightseeing time and saving a bit on the hotel (Venice is way expensive). that gives you most of 10th in Florence and as much of the 11th as you like - there are frequent trains to Rome thoughout the day and evening.

Posted by
53 posts

I have been to Italy twice and I agree with chani 100% you really dont want to "day trip" Florence. See less, experience more.

Posted by
15604 posts

I suggest you visit the Trenitalia website to get an idea of travel times and frequency of trains. And keep in mind that to get to the train you have to pack, check out, get to the station with time to spare, then on arrival, get to the hotel and check in. For Venice, you need the Santa Lucia station (NOT Mestere). For Florence you need the Santa Maria Novella station. For the CT, you would probably take the train to La Spezia, then transfer to the local CT train that stops in all the towns.

Posted by
37 posts

You are not factoring in travel time. We spent 14 days in Italy last October (3 nights in Venice, 3 in Florence, 2 in CT, 2 in Tuscany, 3 in Rome). We flew into Venice and out of Rome. Train from Venice to Florence - 2 hours plus time to and from train stations to hotels. Car from Florence to CT - 3 hours plus time to pick up car. Train from CT to Rome 4 hours plus time to and from station. Also remember that you arrive in Italy in the early morning and are jet lagged so the first day is somewhat hazy and the flights depart Rome in the morning so the 15th is another travel day. So you are left with the 8th, 9th, and 10th before traveling to Rome. One day in Venice would be a waste it is 40 minutes from the airport (mainland) to the city and the city is worth at least two nights to fall in step with its beauty. A day in Florence would allow you to see David and one other museum (both require waiting in line as well). There is so much to see that even three days was too short. The CT is one of Rick's vacation from vacation sites so it needs at least two nights to appreciate its benefits. Venice is somewhat relaxed and the airport easy to navigate. Why not fly into Venice, spend the 7th and 8th, take the train to either Florence or the CT for the 9th and 10th. The hustle of Florence is very much like Rome so if you want relaxation and natural beauty, opt for the CT; if you want culture/history, go to Florence. Then on to Rome!

Posted by
32222 posts

Rob, Given the fact that you want to see "Rome, Venice, Florence and Cinque Terre", I would highly recommend leaving the Amalfi Coast for a future visit. Since you have to be in Rome on the 11th, that limits the options to some extent, so I believe you'll have to make some compromises. As much as I dislike saying this, you might be better to leave the Cinque Terre for a future visit, unless you can skip either Florence or Venice. Which cities to choose will depend on what you most want to see. One point to consider is that August is perhaps the worst month to travel in Italy, when many Italians all take their holidays. The Amalfi Coast will be "crazy" at that time, as will the C.T. Would something like this work for you: > Aug. 6 - depart U.S. > Aug. 7 - arrive Venice (brief touring, jet lag recovery) > Aug. 8 - tour Venice > Aug. 9 - train to Florence (tour Florence (Uffizi & Accademia?) > Aug. 10 - tour Florence - depart for Rome in afternoon > Aug. 11 - Rome (possible day trips to Ostia Antica or Orvieto) > Aug. 12 - Rome > Aug. 13 - Rome > Aug. 14 - Rome > Aug. 15 - train to Roma FCO for flight home. There are lots of ways this could be arranged, so this is one suggestion. I would highly recommend packing along a copy of the Italy 2012 Guidebook, as there's an enormous amount of information there that will help you to plan touring efficiently and avoid problems. When travelling Regionale trains (and some other transit), you MUST validate your tickets or risk a hefty fine, which will be colllected on the spot! BE SURE to wear Money Belts and be vigilant as there WILL be pickpockets in all the areas you'll be visiting. Happy travels!

Posted by
1501 posts

Just returned from 15 days in Italy, 6th trip Lucky Me. Ken and and Chiana (?) both gave you excellent advice. Open jaw if you want to go to Venice, Florence and Rome. The fewer cities the better in this amount of time, because you waste at least a half day changing cities, no matter how efficient you are. Ken's itinerary seemed about as perfect as you can get. Make sure you spend some time just enjoying where you are!! Italy is about enjoying a piazza, drinking a glass of wine or coffee, and marveling at the fountains!
When in Florence, you must spend an evening after dark wandering through Piazza dela Repubblica and Piazza dela Signoria, enjoying the singers and seeing all of the fountains and sculptures all lit up. The Ufuzzi is huge and you must have a reservation in advance. For just a day and a half, I'd recommend more the Accademia, the Santa Croce Church, the Duomo, and enjoying Piazzas. I would skip any daytrips from Rome, since you can't possibly see it all in 4 days. Do you have hotels, or need advice with those? I agree re Rick Steve's books, and never plan a trip without them, but Trip Advisor is also an excellent source!