Please sign in to post.

Italian wedding summer/fall 2015-- need help!

Hi fellow travelers!!!

My fiancé and I are looking get married in Italy in Aug/Sept 2015. I traveled to Italy a lot in college and lived in the Bergamo area for three summers. Ideally, I would like to stay in Northern Italy, because it is easiest for guests to come in and out AND get to other countries. Some of the people I would like to attend have never been to Europe, so the easiest route and area is best. I am not sure how many of our friends and family will be able to attend but hopefully 20-30. We are coming from the mid-west. I have looked at several of the lakes around Milan and would also love Cinque Terre. Tuscany isn't as appealing to me, as it is just long stretches of gorgeous land. We are in our mid-late 20's and want more of an active, exciting, loving city. Any suggestions for venues or areas??

Posted by
3696 posts

How about Venice???? Lake Como would also be beautiful but I would imagine if you are having people from US who have never been to Europe they may want to venture to a few other locations... so why not just have the wedding in one of the most beautiful cities in the world? Or, stay in Venice and having the wedding in Burano (a little more intimate?)

Posted by
8 posts

Thanks for the reply!! Unfortunately, I have never been a big fan of Venice. I have been there for several day trips and each time I leave disappointed. My family has felt the same way, so I think we will stay clear on Venice. Any other ideas? It seems like Tuscany, Florence, Venice, and Almafi Coast are the "wedding cities". Since I am not looking for anything extravagant... just a really good city with fun vibes and nothing too fancy, I was hoping a different place would be fit us better.

Posted by
11613 posts

I think one of the towns along Lake Como would be beautiful.

Other choices might be Padova, Vicenza or Verona.

Too bad Venice won't work for you, lots of weddings take place on the island of Torcello (these are mostly church weddings).

Posted by
3696 posts

I had visited Venice about 4 times, always thought it was interesting, and only returned because someone else wanted to go. I felt as though I had seen it....Then, I spent a week there, and it was as though I saw a whole different city than my day trips. You might want to give it another try sometime.

As far as wedding location... Bellagio would be perfect, or anywhere on the Lake. It is so beautiful and I am sure your guests would be blown away. There might be a bit more info on that other wedding post, so be sure to follow it as well. What about someplace like Santa Marguerita? I just went there this past fall and I really liked it... short hop away from CT...on the sea... not too far from Nice.

Posted by
32709 posts

Welcome aboard, Marco.. glad to have you.

Please turn down the volume a bit - all caps is seen as shouting....

thanks

Posted by
1501 posts

My first trip to Italy was for a wedding. I had a nephew who was in the Airforce, and he fell in love and married a beautiful young woman. She was from Riccioni - next to Rimini on the Adriatic Coast. These towns along the Adriatic are bustling resort/beach towns for Italians, but my husband and I fell in love with the new Niece, her family and these towns. We flew into Milan and took the train. We were definitely tourists, and from there we visited San Leo, San Marino, Ravenna and then on to Venice. We stayed longer than intended (Kids' teachers got mad, but who cares!) And this is how I got HOOKED on Italy. I've been an additional 10 times since, and we were lucky enough to get invited back for the new Niece's brother's wedding! The beaches are IMHO the most beautiful in Italy, as the sand is very fine, and at this time of year the water will be very nice as well.

It's just a suggestion, but thought I'd throw it out there! It made for a different kind of first trip to Italy, as opposed to the usual Rome, Florence, Venice trip. Your family may really enjoy this. We certainly did, and our boys, 14 and 8 at the time have never forgotten it!

Posted by
1543 posts

How about at the Hotel Verbano, on Isola Pescatori on Lake Maggiore? We stayed there a few years ago and they were hosting a function one evening. I think it would be very romantic, but there's not a lot to do on the island itself. You'd need to take the short, easy ferry to adjacent places for activities.

Posted by
8 posts

After doing a TON of research the last week I have decided between two places. 1) Monterresso in CT at the Buranco winery (familiar with this city and I love it) OR 2) Positano... Could do day trips to Capri and Amalfi plus would stay in a villa that fits us all. What do you guys think??? Which option is better and why? Thank you all!!! :)

Posted by
792 posts

It sounds like your heart is in Monterosso but it is nice of you to consider the comfort and convenience of your guests. Have you been to Positano? Can you afford a scouting trip? It would be a shame to go through the effort and expense of planning a destination wedding and not have it be what you expect. I think both cities have doable day trips. Both cities are a reasonable distance to more than one major airport but require some train transfers if you are taking public transportation (something to think about when lugging a wedding dress). Another thing to consider is summer festivals. I know Positano has at least one in August. I would double check those dates.

All things being equal, I would go with what you know and love, Monterosso. I am sure the winery could give you some suggestions for group lodging.

Posted by
1501 posts

@Quirite: You're the local! I defer to your expertise. I haven't been there in about five years, and when I was there there were no Russians or Germans, only Italians, most of whom had a few children with them. Things possibly have changed. Most things do.

Posted by
32198 posts

Kelsey,

Of the places you've mentioned, Monterosso would absolutely be the best choice (IMO). While Positano is great, it will be more a logistical effort to get your guests there and for them to explore elsewhere, since there's no rail access.

A few thoughts.....

• As Monterosso is the largest town, it has the greatest number of hotels and restaurants, so will provide lots of venues for both of you and your guests.
  • There are a few restaurants there that can handle groups, and if you're planning a group dinner that will have to be booked early too. Depending on your budget, one possibility might be the restaurant at Hotel Porto Roca (great views!). I'm not sure if Belvedere Restaurant in the "old town" handles groups, but you could ask.
  • Once you know how many will be attending, I'd suggest booking hotels EARLY as they tend to fill up quickly!
  • If you can't find enough hotels in Monterosso, it would be very easy for some of your guests to stay in Levanto, since it's only about four minutes by train from Monterosso and also has a great beach and lots of amenities.
  • Monterosso would provide some interesting and easy day trip opportunities for your guests. Some could visit Porto Venere by boat, hike the trails, explore the five towns and of course enjoy some excellent Pesto in the area where it was invented. It's also relatively easy to day trip to the famous and posh resort of Portofino. In anticipation for that trip, your guests could prepare by watching the outstanding Andrea Bocelli Love in Portofino concert.

Congratulations!

Posted by
8 posts

Kristin, thanks for the response! I have never been to Positano but the Amalfi Coast has been on my short go-to list for Italy. I was considering going on a scouting trip around the same time I would have the wedding next year... so August/September. I think I would probably be going alone though which isn't that fun. ha-ha. My fiancé is a civil structural engineer and doesn't have a flexible schedule like me and I already want my girlfriends to go next year!! So the question is surprise or just go and make sure! I feel like my sister is leaning towards Amalfi, as my whole family has already been to CT. I know it is "my day" but I don't really view it that way. I am trying to make it more of an experience that everyone enjoys and feels super involved in. My parents got married in my grandparents living room so I don't think they have much knowledge about weddings... it is best for me to approach it as a family/friends trip that I happen to get married at. haha I haven't really started thinking about the dress situation but will probably just have it shipped! :)

Posted by
8 posts

FANTASTIC ADVICE, KEN!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!! Adding those to my pro/con list. Hopefully I can make a decision soon. Do you think I need to book a year in advice or would 6-8 months be long enough?? It is CRAZY how far ahead we have to plan!

Posted by
792 posts

Don't be discouraged if you have to make the scouting trip alone!! You will probably have a great time. Coincidentally, I posted a question several months back about solo travel in Italy. People were extremely helpful.
https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/italy/solo-travel-in-italy

I am not good at posting links.

Another idea- maybe contact the two candidate venues? Maybe you will get a feel for one being a lot more helpful or having a lot more experience hosting international weddings.

Posted by
388 posts

You've had some good advice and you sound like you know your way around Italy. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Posted by
158 posts

Hi Kelsey! A few years ago we stayed at this place " Castello Canevaro " in Zoagli a small town really close to CT. I know this place hosts beautiful weddings and has wonderful views. You may check it out! Congratulations on your wedding, enjoy the planning!

Posted by
667 posts

TOTALLY go see what the 2 places are like! If you can swing it, a girlfriends' trip to both places with maybe a city visit in between would be amazing! I have travelled on the Amalfi Coast quite a bit in September, and its still warm and enjoyable, with less crowds! I would stay in Amalfi, and be able to use the buses and ferries to get where you need to be (since Amalfi is more of a hub of Positano) and see all the areas! Sounds soooooo fun :)

Posted by
1501 posts

@Quirite: Hi! I know Riccione/Rimini are far from Rome, because, flying from the U.S. I have to fly either into Rome or Milan to arrive there to visit family. We were there at the End of August both times. Seems family likes to get married at that time of year! Again, It has been several years, but when we were there, did not see Russians or Germans or English or Americans. No one spoke English except for the lovely Italian Niece! No one in restaurants, gift shops, phone store....My second time, I took an Italian Course just so I could communicate a little!

Our hotel on the beach had so many strollers for children, and a children's playground and all the people in our hotel were Italians on Holiday. It was lovely!

Things DO change! Russians probably didn't know about maybe at that time? I am actually sorry to hear this! No offense intended to Russians, but it was such fun to be in a resort town that was just Italian (except for me, of course!)

I LOVE your beautiful city Rome! It is my favorite, and my dream would be to live there for a year!

Posted by
32198 posts

Kelsey,

With a large group, I'd suggest booking hotels in the Cinque Terre as far in advance as possible, especially as you're dealing with a group of 20-30 (that will probably be much the same regardless of where you choose to have your wedding). I've heard that some of the hotels in Monterosso can be fully booked more than a year in advance. With 20-30 people, you may have to split your group between a couple of hotels but if you reserve early enough you should be able to find enough rooms in Monterosso.

Keep in mind that many of the hotels and other tourist facilities in all the five towns shut down between (approximately) the end of November and the beginning of March, so it may be difficult to make reservations when they're closed.

The C.T. is also a good choice given the fact that some of the people in your wedding party have never been to Europe. It's relatively easy to get from Milan / MXP to Monterosso so that shouldn't be too difficult or intimidating for those that aren't familiar with European travel.

Getting to Positano will be more challenging, and probably also more expensive for all concerned. Of course if you win the Lottery in the near future, you could always have your group stay at THIS hotel and I'm sure everyone would be VERY comfortable.