Please sign in to post.

Italian Lakes

Im travelling to Milan this summer and plan on spending time in the lake region. I will be in Italy for a total of 9 days and 8 nights. I am travelling with my wife and 4 year old daughter. I was thinking of spending 2 nights (1 full day in Milan), 2 days and nights in Varenna, 2 days and nights in Verona (to see the city, Padua and lake Garda) and 2 days and nights in Stresa - all in this order. Do you think this is too much or totally doable? I dont want to rush or tire us out.
Is a renting a car the best way to do this? Thanks

Posted by
32325 posts

David, IMO, that is "too much" for the time frame you have. You'll be changing Hotels four times in a nine day period, which would "rush and tire" me out! I'd suggest "trimming" your list a bit. To begin with, I'd skip Milan unless there's something specific you want to see there (ie: The Last Supper). You could always stop in Milan for one night prior to your flight home. When you arrive at MXP, travel directly to Varenna as that will be a fantastic location to recover from jet lag. One thing you might consider is to add a day to Stresa, and take a day trip on the scenic Cento Valli Railway to Locarno (Switzerland), returning by boat in the late afternoon. It's a bit of a long day, but a wonderful trip! No, renting a car is not the best way in this case. All of the places you're visiting are well covered by train, so that's what I'd suggest. There are some "caveats" for driving in Italy, and a car would be more of a hassle (IMHO). Good luck with your planning and happy travels!

Posted by
7737 posts

That's way way way too much. Pick three cities and enjoy them. Keep the daytrips as a backpocket option to use only if you're not enjoying the city/village where you're staying.

Posted by
360 posts

it's a bit rushed but it's doable I'd prefer to give 3 nights minimum to each location though Milan you can do with 1-2 nights
Ken has some very good recommendations

Posted by
396 posts

When I go to Italy, I stay 3-4 days in each town. Verona is great. Stresa is great...lots to see around the lake...take the train ride mentioned by another post in this string and go on the boat over to the Isle de Pescatori (spelling?) and eat at the restaurant on the island. Milan I would skip entirely. Easy to make one city your "home station" and take day trips by train/bus to various towns around the area.
I would not rent a car. Parking is expensive, petrol is very high and trains/buses are the best way to go.

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you all for your feedback. It has been very helpful. I have tentatively decided on the following itinerary: 4 nights in Stresa, 2 nights in Bellagio and 2 nights in Milan (in that order). How does that sound? I was thinking of doing 4 nights in Bellagio and visiting Milan for the day from there, instead of splitting the time between the two places. However, staying in Milan last means I will be closer to the airport (Malpensa) on the day of departure. Any suggestions? Thanks