Please sign in to post.

Italian Lake District

My wife and I are planning a fall trip to Europe. We have been to the Dolomites and we are hoping to return. But I would like to go to two of the lakes, Como, Maggiore, Garda. We are 67 and just want great scenery at a reasonable cost. I would say that we are limited to about one week, before we move north to Germany and Austria. Please give me ideas concerning which lakes to visit. Thanks in advance for any ideas. Earl

Posted by
11316 posts

I am hoping you are not going to the Dolomites AND two lakes in only one week! You certainly have time for two lakes, say three nights at one and four at another. We did not care for Lake Garda as we prefer to travel without a car. Lake Como and Lago Maggiore are easily done car free. Varenna and Stresa make great bases if you are traveling by train.

Once you decide, come back for tips on what to do in each area.

Posted by
15167 posts

If you plan to move into Austria and Germany then lake Maggiore is out. Way out of the way.
Lake Garda is most beautiful on the northern half. Since that area is not served by rail, you need to take a bus. I recommend Malcesine, on the eastern shore. If you don’t have a car you need a bus from Verona or Peschiera (likely bus change in Garda). Alternatively you can take a nice ferry journey from Peschiera on the southern shore (Peschiera is served by rail).