Please sign in to post.

Italian Honeymoon

My fiance and I will be getting married at the end of February, 2011. We would like to honeymoon in Italy. Our plan is to spend three or four days in a coastal, beach town and then spend three or four days seeing the sites of Rome. However, we have not determined which town to spend the initial portion of our honeymoon. Any suggestions? We would like a town a train's or buses ride from Rome, with pretty beaches, and a quaint, small town feel. Also, any suggestions on hotels would be appreciated. We'd like to keep it under $200 a night, if possible.

Posted by
7737 posts

Hmm. February in Italy means the worst weather for beaches. It's just not a tropical country. The coastal beach towns pretty much shut down, and with good reason. Were you picturing lying out in the sun and going for a dip? You might want to consider either a different location or a different time. Best wishes.

Posted by
32212 posts

Carolyn,

First of all, congratulations!

As the previous reply mentioned, February is not the ideal time for beach activities in Italy and some of the Hotels in smaller towns may be closed at that time of year.

Your best chance for reasonable weather will be southern Italy, and although not exactly a "small town" you might consider Sorrento. It's a fairly easy trip from Rome (via Naples) and large enough that some Hotels will probably still be operating. If you want to go farther south, you could look at Positano or Amalfi.

For inexpensive Hotels in the price range you mentioned, have a look at the "Italy" Guidebook.

Happy travels!

Posted by
3580 posts

I agree that Sorrento would be a good honeymoon choice. It's a good walking town, feels small, has great views. In three days you can enjoy some good restaurants and stay at a view hotel. Sorrento is not a beach town The beach would probably be too cold early in March, anyway. Sorrento is around 2 1/2 to 3 hours from Rome by train.

You could check out Malta for warmer beaches. Fly there from Rome.

Posted by
2 posts

Just as a bit of clarification, I don't expect to tan on the beach in a bikini in Italy in early March. I just want to be able to walk along a beach with my mew husband and watch the waves and ships and maybe even collect things the sea washed up.

We'll definitely look into Sorrento, though. Thanks!

Posted by
782 posts

Yes, congratulations! I also honeymooned in Italy in November 1996, also not beach weather. We spent 4 nights in Amalfi and it was deserted and beautiful! We stayed in the Luna Convento Hotel and each afternoon or evening we would walk into the hotel restaurant, the restaurant staff would hear our footsteps and come greet us (we were one of two couples in the hotel). They would tell us what fabulous meal they had planned for us, and it was always spectacular. We never saw a menu. It was really pretty great. The Amalfi Coast is an incredibly beautiful place to visit, any time of the year. Just don't expect it too be hopping with people and nightlife. If you are extroverts who need a lot of people and excitement, it may not be what your looking for.