Please sign in to post.

Italian covid restrictions in spring 2023?

I was in Italy a year ago in April. Masks were required indoors on airplanes, proof of vaccination was required in many public/private places. Going again next week, how has all of that changed or are we back to pre-pandemic (in terms of this kind of think) times?

thank you

Posted by
211 posts

Depending on the airline, you may have to wear a mask. I haven't seen any checks on vaccination status. Then again, if you aren't vaccinated, you run the risk of a more severe illness.

Posted by
755 posts

I was in Italy just over a week ago. Everything is back to pre-pandemic, although you will see someone wearing a mask once in a while.

Posted by
36 posts

Does coming back to the US need testing? I thought we don't need it any more but TripIt app says US needs testing 48 hours before departure. 🤔

Posted by
6079 posts

No testing needed to return to US
No testing needed to enter Italy

That app is really out of date
Testing was dropped last June? and middle of May it was 24 hours prior

US dropped testing for entry shortly after we returned on 5/13/22

US dropped masking on airlines just before we returned even though we still needed to test and we did wear masks on plane anyway
We both ended up with COVID a few days after our return and it wasn’t fun
Totally vaccinated and boosted

Posted by
559 posts

Some of the rules are still in effect for non-Americans entering the US, which could explain why apps haven't dropped them entirely. It's the reason a certain tennis pro just dropped out of an American tournament.

Posted by
4412 posts

ditto, in my case after a London trip. and we were very diligent about masking on planes.

We both ended up with COVID a few days after our return and it wasn’t fun
Totally vaccinated and boosted

Posted by
93 posts

We're also going to Italy mid April. It's hard to find a government page that says all restrictions are really lifted (although we do find news about it). At the moment, I'm assuming I don't need a test or vaccine proof to enter Italy.

I just had the bivalent booster yesterday, though, just to hopefully keep the virus away while traveling, and I'll take my CDC card with me as well. Plus covid tests and masks. Later we'll go to Spain where we'll start our first Rick Steve's tour. We're looking forward to i!