Please sign in to post.

Ischia September 2024 - suggestions and advice welcomed

After having visited Italy in June 2023 traveling from Rome to Naples to Vietri Sul Mare back to Rome I am eager to return and immerse myself near on the Amalfi Coast area and just plain enjoy. I believe the island of Ischia may be just what I’m hoping for but welcome suggestions and advice.
Thank you

Posted by
50 posts

We took our family there in September 2019 for 4 nights and loved it. We stayed in Forio and effectively planned one primary activity per day and let the rest of the time be used exploring around wherever we were or going to the beach (Citara was our favorite). The water was great that time of year. One day we spend seeing the Castello Aragonese and neighboring area. Another we spent renting a boat to cruise around the island, looking for caves, jumping in the water, and just enjoying the clear Mediterranean. And the last day we climbed Epomeo, eating at the restaurant near the top for lunch before coming down. There was plenty to explore in Forio itself and the whole stay was the perfect balance of activity and relaxation. Oh, and we happened to be there when the figs were ripe, which was spectacular. If you're there in September you may share our luck.

This time back we're looking at other hikes and going to Giardini La Mortella. The hot springs would be nice as well, but we haven't done any of them yet as some are restricted to younger kids, which we have. We loved Forio and are staying nearby again, though I don't know that you can go wrong staying anywhere on the island. However, we did prefer being away from the larger port. Travel around the island is easy as we just get the 3 day or week long bus passes so we ride wherever we want. Ischia really is a great place, particularly if you're hoping to enjoy outdoor time to it's fullest.

Posted by
6 posts

I am mainly a reader on this forum but wanted to respond on Ischia. My husband and I took our 3rd trip to Italy last September - 4 nights in each of Naples, Ischia, Sorrento, and Rome. First time to Ischia staying in Ponte. Stayed at the castle (L’Albergo de Monastero) in a superior room with terrace overlooking the island. Best food of the entire trip. Amazing place connected to Ponte by a walkway. Would go again in a heartbeat. We arrived on island for start of a festival honoring a saint born in Ponte. Parade of locals through the streets with local music performances and opera singers from Naples performing on the streets at night. Felt very local and wonderful.

Posted by
11 posts

I really appreciate the information that has been posted. I am waiting for the right moment to book the airfare! Thanks again