Please sign in to post.

Ischia

Hi, I will be in Maiori next week and I’m looking forward to visiting Capri. However, I’ve heard that it may not be worth the visit, overcrowded and overpriced?? Someone told me that Ischia would be more interesting to see. Does anyone have any experience with tours/visiting either island? Also, has anyone rented a Vespa to tour either location and if so, do you have a rental place to recommend?
Thanks in advance :)

Posted by
546 posts

I have enjoyed my stays there. There isn't too much to see but if you like fresh seafood and nice views, it's worth a visit. A Vespa is a good idea. Perhaps I'll try that next time.
You cannot avoid people/crowds in popular places in Italy. I found that my ability to speak German came in handy there...........

Posted by
16402 posts

We haven't done Ischia (which I hear is very nice) but have done Capri and don't know as I'd recommend either as a day trip from Maiori. There is no ferry service to either island from Maiori so you'd have to get to them in two stages: ferry or bus to a town which does offer service and then ferry to the island itself. Ischia is, of course further away from the coast than Capri so takes longer to get to, and.ferries are infrequent.

https://www.travelmar.it/en/
https://www.travelmar.it/downloads/orari_travelmar.pdf
https://www.positano.com/en/ferry-schedule?from=positano&to=ischia#

We enjoyed Capri but we also stayed on the island for a couple of nights so were able to enjoy it during the quieter hours before/after the day-trippers were around. During peak tourist hours, we hiked to interesting/scenic points away from the busy town centers (and spent some time with the local grape in a quiet corner one afternoon. Ha!) and we didn't feel overrun at all. If willing to expend the shoe leather to explore further afield than Capri and Anacapri centers ( the island is not THAT big and mostly pedestrianized) then I'd give it go. If not, you'll be squarely in the middle of the hordes.

If you decide to go, I'll recommend skipping the Blue Grotto. It's a time and money suck for the very few minutes inside the thing...if the rowboats boats can even GET inside the thing. We gave it a pass based on enough negative reviews and didn't feel like we'd missed a thing.

Editing to add: if you've never ridden a Vespa, the general consensus amongst the those in the forum gang with long experience is that Italy is NO place to learn.

Posted by
1076 posts

I’ve been following an expat blog of an American now living on Ischia. She offers paid travel guidance, or just read through some of her posts to learn more about the island. I have no other affiliation with her than enjoying her story and expat advice. Limonata Lounge

Posted by
1025 posts

The attraction for Ischia is that it is a volcanic island with a number of great beaches and thermal springs, making a vacation there rather spa and swimming heavy. The Castello Aragonese is a beautiful castle on a small island, and La Mortella is a world class botanical garden. Other than that, it is a place to relax in hedonistic excess, including being fed and pummeled well.

Ischia is relatively difficult to get to from Maiori, although it is a snap from Naples or Pozzuoli. Lots of Germans, I hear.