Please sign in to post.

Is the Venice Accademia back up to speed as of March 2024?

We’re going to Venice in early May 2024 and would love to visit the Accademia again. But the Accademia’s website lists so many of what I consider to be their “greatest hits” as being currently off view - due to their being under restoration - that I’m afraid we’ll be disappointed. Can anyone on this forum who has been there recently offer their opinion on whether there seems to be a lot missing from their walls?

Posted by
4919 posts

Most people visit for the Michaelangelo statues. The major painting collections will be at the Uffizi. Unfortunately, in my experience, there is always the chance that a favorite painting may be away for restoration, on tour, or on loan.

Posted by
115 posts

@CJean, I believe you're confusing the Accademia in Florence with the one in Venice. Either that, or OP is.

Posted by
310 posts

I've gone twice, last time in 2021 so not recent but I definitely recommend it. Museums always have works in restoration or on loan but looking at the website none one their works by Tintoretto, Canaletto, Giorgione, Mantegna, Titian or Veronese are on loan or restoration.. so I would go.

Posted by
4919 posts

Richard, you're absolutely right. I was thinking of the Accademia in Florence. My bad.

Posted by
2 posts

@Marco, I’m looking at the list of works not currently shown, according to the Venice Accademia website. It is 8 pages long and it does include works by those artists. There are 12 Tintorettos on the list as well as 10 Carpaccios and 10 Bellinis, just to name a few. Many of these are the exact paintings I was hoping to see again.
Here is the link to the list: https://www.gallerieaccademia.it/opere-non-esposte
Maybe I’m misunderstanding the meaning of the list or it is out of date? Might these paintings actually be on display currently?