Please sign in to post.

Is an Alfa Romeo 156 too big

I'm renting a car with 3 others to spend a week in Tuscany area. Renting in Rome then heading off. I've read to be very careful in getting a car that can be too big for the streets.

Since we have luggage we need a car big enough to accomodate our luggage as well. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Posted by
319 posts

That is a great car! I've rented one three of 4 times. It will be just fine on the narrow streets. I have a Volvo S40 (about as wide as the Alfa) and I've only had one time where we got in a too narrow situation, but that was our fault.

Posted by
1158 posts

According to google images it doesn't look big to me.
How many pieces of luggage are you going to have?
A few years ago 2 of us + 5 pieces of luggage took the whole room of an Opel Astra.

Posted by
120 posts

We rented an Audi in Italy for 4 of us and all our luggage. It definitely was a bigger car than the average Italian was driving but the only issue we found with it was in parking. We found we just had to be careful that we did not get hemmed in and unable to get out! Alot of the Tuscan towns don't allow cars anyway so you have to park outside the walls and walk into town.

Posted by
1358 posts

Read any major auto rental webpage to see how many of each size bag will fit in any car. Use that guide for selecting the smallest car useful to you.

Driving on narrow streets and roads makes a small car better for you. Once you are there it is too late to wish you had chosen a smaller car.