Please sign in to post.

Is $519 a good deal for 11 days? Small SUV

Hello! I’m considering renting an automatic “Seat Ateca” from “Sicily by Car” for $519 (before insurance or any extras) for 11 days in late September. We’ll pick it up at the Milan airport before ultimately driving to Courmayeur. This is the best deal I could find, but it seems high. We need a vehicle with a bit of ground clearance because of the road leading to the cabin we’re staying in.

Thoughts/suggestions/recommendations/coupon code 😂?

Posted by
2485 posts

Car rentals are typically refundable or offer free cancellation. If you find a price that you like, book it. If you find a better price, book it and cancel the original reservation.

Posted by
7030 posts

That’s actually a very good price- how much will it be with all insurances?
Last year $519 might have gotten you a 3 day rental if you were lucky!

However Sicily by Car does not get good reviews- lots of of unhappy customers and warnings.

Have you priced at AutoEurope.com, AutoEurope.eu or Kemwel.com?
I’ve always found the best rates with AutoEurope and their customer service and reputation is excellent. Your car might then be from Hertz, Avis, Europcar, etc- the major agencies.
You will prepay but can always cancel/rebook if you see a better price. I've just this week done that twice- got our rate for 12 days of about 1000 euros down to 523 euros- in Switzerland.

All drivers must have an IDP.

Posted by
15874 posts

That seems way too low for even a small SUV. Once you add 'zero deductible' insurance I'm sure you'll pay around $900 for 11 days ($80/day and up). For that low price, including zero deductible insurance, you may get a small economy size hatchback.

Check www.autoeurope.com, entering the same dates (make sure you click on 'no deductible coverage'). Maybe if you unclick 'no deductible' coverage you might go as low as you say, but then you may be liable for the 1000 to 2000 euro deductible in case of damage, and believe me, they will find some damage when you return the car, they always do, that is why I only select the 'no deductible' option.

If you don't select the 'no deductible' make sure your credit card covers it in Italy (not all do), because even a small scratch will result in hundreds of $$ to pay up to the deductible (which is at least 1000 euro), which you may not claim to be reimbursed with your credit card.

Posted by
11731 posts

Does the $519 include taxes?

I paid $50 per day in Hawaii in June. ( tax included)

Posted by
7633 posts

That's a good price now. I paid around $950 for 16 days in Scotland in May of this year.