Please sign in to post.

internet access

Is there quick and easy internet access in Italy? Small towns and larger ones?
Thanks

Posted by
11322 posts

We had access in Venice, Siena, Montalcino, Orvieto, Rome and Milan, no problem. It was either free or reasonably priced at our lodging, whether B&B, apartment or hotel. Only challenge was in Vernazza, where the Internet point was 3 euros for 15 minutes.

Posted by
7737 posts

You might not need your passport. Of the two places we went in Rome only one asked for an ID. I gave him my expired drivers license, which was fine with him. The other one (in Trastevere) didn't even bother to ask. It's true that they're supposed to ask, but TII (This is Italy.) :-)

Posted by
9100 posts

According to media reports late last year, the law requiring passports at Internet Cafes was was supposed to be rescinded effective March 2011. Thank You.

Posted by
7737 posts

It depends not only on the town, but also on where you're staying. Certainly, the smaller the town, the more expensive and "iffier" the internet connection is likely to be. There seem to me to be fewer internet cafes as people are using Wifi more and more. We found quite a few business with signs outside saying "Wifi", but remember, just because some place has Wifi, doesn't mean it's free Wifi. For example, a coffee bar might say it has Wifi, and when you buy anything, they'll give you the password for unlimited use. Other places have Wifi, but you have to pay by the minute/hour. I've found that B&Bs are more likely to have Wifi included (it's not technically free, is it?), and hotels are still likely to charge you extra. I anticipate that changing in the next few years, with people demanding access as part of their lodging. We took a netbook with us last month, and were lucky enough to have a coffee bar down the street from us in Rome that offered free Wifi with any purchase. The B&Bs where we stayed in Orvieto and Verona had Wifi included. The hotel in Ostia also provided free access. But the hotel in Venice Lido charged for access.

Posted by
687 posts

Also note that you will need your passport to use an internet cafe, because of Italian security regulations. Not sure how that works with wifi in cafes.

Posted by
32212 posts

chooch, Are you referring to internet access via Net Cafés or via Wi-Fi? Net Cafés are somewhat less prevalent now than in the past, so you may have to do a bit of searching to find one. As someone else mentioned, you'll have to present your Passport and "register" in order to use them. Many Hotels and B&B's these days provide Wi-Fi either included in the cost of the room or for a small charge. There is also often one or two PC's in the lobby for use by guests (this varies somewhat depending on Hotel). I've never been asked to "register" for those, since the Hotel already has my Passport and other information on file. Cheers!

Posted by
109 posts

In Florence, just outside the Firenze SMN train station (walk to the right when you leave the front entrance), there is a sign on a parking garage that says "Free Internet and Television." Stop there and use it for free! No registration required. As previous posters have noted, free WiFi depends on your individual hotel. Our small hotel not far from the train station in Florence didn't have it, but our former convent in Cortona did. Cost: 5 Euros for 24 hours. A lawyer I was talking to said that the reason for registering is anti-terror policing. I don't have any problem with that.