Please sign in to post.

International Driving License?

Hi All,
As an avid RS fan and a somewhat seasoned traveler, I'm a tad confused. RS says he has never gotten an International Driving License in his 50 years of visiting Europe. I have rented a car in Portugal recently with just my state driver's license, but for some reason I'm apprehensive about renting on my upcoming trip this April to Italy.

Any thoughts?

Posted by
2077 posts

If the country you are visiting requires one, then get it at your local AAA club for about $15. Like my mom would say, “ if your friends jump off a cliff will you?”
If you are involved in an accident or are pulled over the police will ask for it.

Posted by
11209 posts

When I drove in Italy for a week I went past at least 2 places where the police were randomly waving cars over to stop. Once it was the car directly in front. of me. You do not have to have an accident or be pulled over for a violation to be subject to an inspection

RS says he has never gotten an International Driving License in his 50 years of visiting Europe

Do you have an a citation for this statement?

Posted by
6159 posts

It’s is required by law now. Car rental agencies are asking for it.
It’s $15 for peace of mind.

Posted by
23310 posts

Technically speaking he is correct. He has never gotten an International Driving License -- It is an International Driving Permit. He may not have but I bet his camera man has or the sound guy.

Posted by
4532 posts

He may not have but I bet his camera man has or the sound guy.

I am sure Rick is telling the truth, and not in the coy way you insinuate.

OP: Rhode Island uses the Vienna Convention format, so in the unlikely instance that the rental car agency or police officer asks for one, show the numbers on your license. All the IDP does is relate the words on your license to the convention number, surname is 1, birthday is 3, etc. Your license already does that.

Posted by
11196 posts

We have paid over $20 at AAA multiple times for these translations of our drivers licenses. It is not a drivers’ license rather a translation of your license into several languages. Considering the cost of your trip why would risk a fine for a measly $15/20??

Posted by
799 posts

Just because Rick says he did something incredibly stupid is no reason for you to do likewise. As for getting a rental car without showing an IDP, just remember the clown behind the rental counter gets paid to rent cars, not enforce the law, and he really doesn't give a rat's rump what hap[pens to you since the company has you by the credit card. If you get caught in Italy without an IDP, the drill starts with a very healthy fine fine IN CASH, ON THE SPOT. Then they decide whether or not they are going to impound your car, since you are not legally licensed to drive it. Don't worry if they impound the car, the rental company will pay someone to pay the impound fees and retrieve the car all using your credit card. The real trouble starts if you have an accident. The insurance company can and will say that you were not properly licensed to drive the car, therefore your insurance is not valid and you are holding the bag for all the liability.

Many years ago I called The Austrian Tourist Office just to see how seriously they treated IDPs and the very pleasant lady said that only a fool would drive car a meter in Austria without one as the financial hazard is unlimited.

Ten years ago the following appeared in these very pages relating an experience in Spain which like Italy requires an IDP:

We just returned from our third driving trip in Spain. For the first time, I was stopped for an illegal left turn off Goya in Madrid. Local enforcement stopped me and checked my papers. My valid Iowa license was not good enough for them and I was fined 250 Euros on the spot. They also threatened to impound the car. By the way, no mention was ever made of the need when I rented from SIXT in Madrid, and the Barcelona SIXT representatives told me I didn't need an International license.

Posted by
32219 posts

todd,

As others have mentioned, an International Driver's Permit is compulsory for driving in Italy (and also other countries). These are easily obtained at any AAA / CAA office for a small fee, and are used in conjunction with your home D.L. Whether or not you're asked to produce it is not the issue. Failure to produce an IDP when requested may result in an a hefty fine which must be paid on the spot!

Posted by
7405 posts

for some reason I'm apprehensive about renting on my upcoming trip this April to Italy

Your apprehension, if it’s about driving in Italy without a current International Driving Permit , is well-founded. You’ll have enough else to focus on - speed cameras, ZTL limited traffic zones, construction backups, and most of all, other drivers on Italian roads, to worry about not having an IDP. Wear your seatbelt, and have an IDP both of those are the first thing you should do before driving off in your rental.

Posted by
4532 posts

OP: As you can read, it’s the topic without resolution, from 15 years ago:

https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/transportation/has-anyone-paid-a-fine-for-no-international-driving-permit

Despite there being many posts here and elsewhere about camera fines (so we know that that’s a real thing), IDP issues in Western Europe seem mythological, or so uncommon you wonder if it's just a case of an obnoxious person having the book thrown at them. Now most US states have gone to the Vienna numbering system like EU licenses, eliminating any utility the IDP might provide. It's time to start taking advantage of that if you have one of those licenses.

Posted by
6598 posts

As already stated, AAA, $20, 2 passport photos they will take at AAA if you don’t have your own, and 20 minutes of time. You can print off the form ahead of time and have it filled before you get to AAA saving yourself some time.

Posted by
106 posts

Thanks for the feedback all. While I'm confident that I could never actually need the permit, for $20 and a few minutes of my time, I've decided, better safe than sorry.

Posted by
4140 posts

" The real trouble starts if you have an accident. The insurance company can and will say that you were not properly licensed to drive the car, therefore your insurance is not valid and you are holding the bag for all the liability. " In over twelve years of posting here , Irv is one of the vey few people who have grasped this issue . Don't get an IDP , and find yourself in a compromised situation . You will soon find out whose interests the insurance underwriters are protecting .

Posted by
12 posts

In preparation for our trip to Italy in June, we just got our IDPs yesterday (wife and I), it took 15 mins at the local AAA office. We will be driving from Rome to Montepulciano then through Tuscany for 9 days, staying at two different agritourismos near the wineries we plan to visit.

Posted by
15133 posts

I have yet to rent a car in all my trips to Europe. And I have no plans to rent a car on my future trips.

But every year I get the IDP just in case I have to at the last minute.

$20 for the permit and if you are a member of AAA the photos are free.

Posted by
4140 posts

I rent a car when there is a compelling reason to do so . The English and Scottish rural areas , as an example . Traveling through Belgium and Northeastern France , visiting World War I sites , is another . While my usual choice of travel is rail , I also take an IDP on every trip , just in case . The cost is inconsequential , it's cheap insurance if I need to rent at the last minute .

Posted by
106 posts

So, I visited my local AAA office today and got my IDP. As I am a basic member of AAA, the photos I needed cost an additional $10. I am now fully legal to drive internationally. I have to say that it does seem like a bit of a scam, as all the IDP really is is a translation of my state issued driver's license with my picture, but, better safe than sorry.

Posted by
32219 posts

todd,

It's good to hear that you now have an IDP for your upcoming trip.

You may already be aware of this, but you'll also need to be vigilant to avoid the limited traffic (ZTL) areas, as each pass through one will result in hefty fines, which you probably won't be aware of until several months after returning home. There are also fines for driving in bus lanes and of course speed cameras.

Posted by
106 posts

Ken,

Thanks for the warnings. We have no plans to drive in any city or large town as we'll be in Tuscany at an agritourismo. Our plan is to tour the countryside and park outside of any town and walk/shuttle in (Pienza, Montepulchiano). As we are there in late April, we're hoping crowds will be light and parking in the lots outside of towns plentiful.

Ciao

Posted by
2118 posts

Todd,
Glad to hear you bought some peace of mind at a great price. Have a great time! Since you've driven in Europe before, Italy will be no problem. Study the rules and signage before you go. Strictly obey the speed limit, they use automated speed checkers. ZTLs are well marked and easily avoided. Assume anywhere within the walls of a walled town is ZTL. Take a bus into big cities like Florence and Rome. Siena is OK, there's plenty of places to park outside the ZTL.

We had a wonderful time exploring Tuscany by car and had absolutely no problems. I'm jealous of your trip to Portugal, my 3rd great-grandfather was kidnapped, sold to a merchant ship, and escaped in Richmond when in port. I want to visit his home country.

Posted by
1035 posts

Thought I’d add an anecdote to this debate. Today I rented a car in Pescara, just for 24 hours. I flew in today and fly back to Milan tomorrow, for the sole purpose of FINALLY getting my Italian driver’s license. I have a valid Canadian license, but we have been here 18 months now, and the law says I need to get an Italian license by the end of one year from the date I obtained residency.

Well and good, and I’ve been working towards that timeline after delays in the residency permit issuance and COVID-related delays in driving test availability. I’m still “legal” on the one-year-since-residency rule but of course my IDP expired six months ago and I haven’t been back to Canada to replace it.

The car rental agency sent a written notice with the reservation that I must show a valid IDP at the rental counter. And today at pickup, the agent checked my old IDP carefully, and realized it was expired.

At that point, I had to sign a declaration that I had been informed that the IDP was required by law, and that if I am stopped, I will be personally liable for a fine of between 400 - 1600 Euros. Not only did I have to sign it, he insisted on explaining it verbally at length to be sure I understood. Then he handed me the keys…

So yes, the IDP is required and enforcement seems to have been stepped up.

Posted by
3812 posts

As we are there in late April

If you mean between April 17, April 25 and May 1, you'll be there between 3 national holydays with Easter Monday traditionally devoted to day-trips. There is going to be a lot of people driving around

Posted by
177 posts

I was waved over by an officer near San Gimignano for unknown reason. Could have been speeding??? I don't remember if he asked for license -IDL or not. He did not speak English and we did not speak Italian so he indicated we could go on. You just never know. We did purchase all the car rental insurance allowable and that was good because the agent at the car return in Orvieto was checking the car very closely until I told him we had full insurance. As soon as I told him this he quit looking.

Posted by
15221 posts

Important international signs:

Sign on the Left below: No motor vehicles allowed (this sign will appear at the entrance of every ZTL)
Sign on the Right below: Wrong Way (this sign is also used before entering bus lanes)
https://images.app.goo.gl/HrzZDYGVa5S9oJtk6

Sign on the Left below: No stopping (effective 24/7 unless otherwise indicated)
Sign on the Right below: No parking (effective 24/7 outside of built up areas or 8am to 8pm inside built up areas, unless otherwise indicated)
(The above signs may have indicated below the hours in which it is effective)
https://images.app.goo.gl/6anVaDgqAUpfbC25A

Note that some parking spots allow only limited time parking. In that case you must use the “Disco Orario” to indicate the time you arrived at the parking spot using the parking disc on the dash board. All rental cars come with one.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disc_parking