Please sign in to post.

International Drivers Permit

We are receiving conflicting info even in travel guides. Do we or do we not need an International drivwers Permit?

Posted by
8293 posts

In Italy it is mandatory. It will cost you $15 or $20, that's all, a tiny fraction of the total cost of your trip.

Posted by
92 posts

Everything that has been said is true. However, when I am driving in any country in Europe, and I will be going to Italy I will get a IDP. I have even bought it for other countries that might not require it, but this way there will not be any questions.

Posted by
1170 posts

Mandatory in Italy. Can be obtained from your local AAA office.

Posted by
32212 posts

brenda, as the others have mentioned, an International Driver's Permit is COMPULSORY for driving in Italy (and some other countries). This must be used in conjunction with your home D.L. The IDP basically provides a translation of the terms of your normal D.L. Drivers can be fined ON THE SPOT for failing to produce an IDP if requested. While no one here has reported any fines so far, it's a good idea to pack along an IDP, especially considering the very reasonable cost. ¶ You can obtain the IDP at AAA offices. A Passport-sized photo is required (AAA office are sometimes set up to take the photos), and the IDP is valid for one year. EACH DRIVER must have an IDP. ¶ While off-topic from your question, you might want to research some of the Posts here regarding the dreaded ZTL zones which are becoming very prevalent in man towns in Italy. Happy travels!

Posted by
252 posts

The conflicting info might be the term, international drivers license, which was sort of a scam several years back. But, as others have said, the IDP is mandatory in Italy but is not a requirement to rent a car.

Posted by
3 posts

Just got my IDP at a local AAA office for my trip to Italy. It took about 10 minutes for the clerk to take a picture and fill out the paperwork.