Please sign in to post.

International drivers License

Hello,
I am wanting to rent a car in Sicily next week. I am currently in Rome and am wondering g how to obtain an IDL from here and quickly. I am a United States Citizen and will be traveling to UK after this and would also like to drive. Any helpful tips are appreciated.

Posted by
237 posts

It was something you needed to do at the Auto Club while you were still in the US. I don’t believe it’s required to rent car; the car rental agency won’t ask. It’s what law enforcement might ask for in the event you are stopped.

Posted by
4412 posts

This car left the station (so to speak) once you left the US, but you could try calling the embassy in Rome and seeing if there's an alternate. Perhaps the Italian equivalent of the AAA has an option.

Posted by
798 posts

Since you are in Rome, I would hot foot it to the US embassy for information. There are processes for getting one when you are already overseas but it takes someone with specific national knowledge to direct you, if if is possible. Many rental car companies bend the rules and don't ask. Just remember the guy behind the counter will not be he one facing the cop if you are stopped but he will be the one using your credit card to send a tow truck to recover the car if it is impounded.. The penalties can run from a substantial on the spot cash fine up to impounding you and your car, it depends on the circumstances. The real problem is that if you have an accident without an IDP, the insurance company can and, most likely will, declare your coverage null and void leaving you holding the bag. If you can't get the IDP the question becomes, How lucky do you feel??

Posted by
11180 posts

I am currently in Rome and am wondering how to obtain an IDL from here and quickly.

There is no 'quickly'
https://www.aaa.com/vacation/idpf.html#overseas

As KD said the rental agency may/may not ask to see it , but if the police stop you, it can get expensive in a hurry. Have seen comments here about the rental agency asking to see it, although it seems most don't. When I rented a car in Italy Hertz didn't want to see it. In the week I had the car I drove past 2 random check points the police had set up and were waving cars over. At one it was the car in front of me. You don't have to do something 'wrong' to get pulled over.

Posted by
1699 posts

Your best and quickest alternative to an IDP, as provided by Italian law, is to get an Italian translation of your driver's license from a sworn translator - since that is all an IDP is. Google "traduzione giurata roma" and look for the term " traduzione giurata della patente". They will know what to do.

@Irv, please provide source for believing that car insurance coverage is predicated on having an IDP. I've read the rental car contract and it says no such thing. The possibility of an impounded car also needs documentation as that's an extreme step in Italy reserved for drunks and illegally registered vehicles. The only penalty provided in the Codice della Strada is a fine from 408€ to 1.634€.

Posted by
15172 posts

You won’t have enough time to get one from AAA from the US, however Italian law accepts a certified sworn translation by a translator authorized by the Italian local tribunal in lieu of the IDL you should have gotten before leaving.

A driver without a EU driver’s license driving without an IDL or a certified translation is subject to a minimum fine of 408€ (art. 135 of the Italian Motor Vehicle Code).

There are many companies that offer that type of certified translation service everywhere in Italy, including Rome. Many will do it even online. You will need to send a scan of your US driver’s license and they can have a sworn translation fedexed to you within 48 hours. I don’t know if the US Consulate can provide that service for you or if any driving school (SCUOLA GUIDA) can refer you to someone. Or you can do a search online by entering these key words TRADUZIONI GIURATE PATENTI STRANIERE ROMA and see what comes up. Here are two that came up:

https://www.traduzioni-asseverate.com/traduzione-patente-di-guida-in-italiano/

https://www.qualitaliaroma.com/traduzioni/traduzioni-giurate-roma/traduzione-titoli-di-studio-e-pagelle/traduzione-patente-di-guida.html

Posted by
1102 posts

When I rented a car in Italy Hertz didn't want to see it. In the week I had the car I drove past 2 random check points the police had set up and were waving cars over. At one it was the car in front of me. You don't have to do something 'wrong' to get pulled over.

On our last trip we came around a curve in Tuscany and were waved over. Fortunately we had gotten IDLs from AAA, the driver showed it, and we were back on our way. So they definitely may check.

Posted by
11180 posts

Would be interesting to know how this turned out for OP.

Posted by
2 posts

Update: We ended up hiring a lawyer in Rome to translate our Drivers License and then proceed to go to court on our behalf for the official stamp of approval. We went to the US embassy website and they provide a list of lawyers. We went with the first option and on her website she specifically outlines what to do and expect for this service. We emailed her photos of our Drivers license, payed her about 160.00 USD and we had our documents the next day. We met her in the city to pick up the originals but she said many of her clients are fine with a scan of the documents and she keeps the originals. It was an easy process and I am grateful to all of you for your input.