Please sign in to post.

International Drivers License

We have driven in Italy since 1994, and never gotten an IDL. I am seeing more and more about it being a good idea to have one. I know they are available at AAA, and I beleive I read here that they are free? How long do they last? And how long does it take to get one? (Or do you get it right away at AAA?)

Thanks for your help!

Posted by
4555 posts

They're usually $15-20 or so, last a year, and require you to bring two passport-sized head and shoulders photos of yourself. Your AAA branch should be able to issue it immediately....they just check your driver's license, stamp the equivalent qualifications on the IDP, glue on your photo and stamp it, then send you on your way. They're not a replacement for your driver's license....they're an internationally-recognized translation of your license.

Posted by
689 posts

Update on my own questions...

AAA price is $15. Permit is good for one year, not renewable. (you get a new one)

Passport photos $7 at AAA. You can provide your own - the AAA sight gives the specs on exactly what they need to be.

They are issued immediately.

You can also do it mail if you don't have an AAA office nearby.

Posted by
333 posts

I've never gotten one either but decided to get one for our trip to Spain in May. I've never been asked for one anytime I've hired a car but with everyone saying how necessary they are I figured I better buy one.

Kind of a rip-off IMHO. $25.00 with photo and expires in a year. My local AAA was able to issue it on the spot.

Posted by
1018 posts

I drive in Italy every year and do not purchase the IDP. However, this year I plan to purchase the IDP after reading more posts concerning the subject here and on Frommer's Forum. It is a good idea and inexpensive.

Buon viaggio,

RB

Posted by
927 posts

I'm surprised anyone's been able to rent a car recently without one. First two trips in 2004 and 2006, the rental agencies never asked and didn't even want to look at it. Last two trips, after 2006, all the ones I checked into required a current IDP. I rent motorcycles.
I think it became a requirement forced on the rental agencies in late 2006 or so to record the IDP number.