Please sign in to post.

International Driver's License?

When driving a rental car in Italy, should I carry the actual International Driver's Liscense with me,
or is having a good color copy of the license acceptable?
Thanks

Posted by
4836 posts

I just leave it in the glove box or shoved somewhere in the car. In the unlikely event that you actually needed it, I would assume the police would like an authentic one, and it is a little booklet anyway.

Posted by
2967 posts

You need the actual IDP (Int'l Driving Permit) ... not a copy.

Posted by
473 posts

The times I’ve had a rental car I have usually forgot to bring it in the car with me. Usually left it at our accommodations. Oops . Yes you should have it with you

Posted by
7840 posts

Thankfully have never needed to present it. I showed the actual permit booklet once when picking up a rental car in Sicily, and the rental agent was completely uninterested. But I keep mine in my money belt, where it just barely fits. Not the most comfortable, but not that bad, and I know where it is, if needed.

Posted by
7060 posts

The times I’ve had a rental car I have usually forgot to bring it in the car with me. Usually left it at our accommodations. Oops<<

LOL we did the same thing on our first trip to Italy! Since we bring our own GPS in a small pouch I now keep the IDP in that, as I know it will be in car whenever we drive.

I think I read that the Italian car rental agencies are now asking to see your IDP? That was not the case before.

Posted by
7058 posts

Have never been asked for it, or to show it, in any country, but I always carry it with me.

Posted by
2540 posts

My nephew was asked for an IDP when he rented a car in Italy.

Posted by
11747 posts

is having a good color copy of the license acceptable?

Is this a serious question?

If you were driving across the US or Canada, would you bring just a 'good color copy' of you license with you?

You plan to bring your passport with you, or do you expect a 'good color copy' to get you past TSA on departure and passport control on arrival?

Posted by
1321 posts

Never have been asked for it but as mentioned I just stick it in the glove box when we pick up the car.