Please sign in to post.

International Driver Permit

Hello, we are renting a car in Italy. I have read a lot of conflicting information on whether or not we need an international drivers permit. I called hertz and the representative said we only need a valid US drivers license and passport. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Posted by
23449 posts

That maybe what Hertz wants. The Italian police might have a different attitude since it is required in Italy. Get it -- cheap and easy and eliminates one less potential problem. The last time about three years ago we rented at Hertz in Rome at the airport, Hertz wanted to see the IDP.

Posted by
5071 posts

Agree with Frank. The rental desk may or may not require it. If the police stop you, they WILL. Pretty big fine if you can't produce it on demand.

Posted by
15445 posts

Hertz or any rental office won't ask for it, in most cases (they didn't want to see mine the two times I rented at the Florence airport in 2023).

However it is required by law (Art. 135 of the Italian motor vehicle code), therefore if you get pulled over by police for any reason (or if you get into an accident) and you don't have it, you will incur a minimum fine of €408 (about $450).

So, it is up to you if you want to pay $30 (incl. photos) at your local AAA for 10 minutes of your time, or risk paying 15 times as much to the Italian police.

Posted by
6599 posts

It doesn't matter what Hertz says. What matter is what the law in Italy says, and it says you need it.

Posted by
229 posts

Get the IDP. We have been stopped in Italy, Portugal and Spain. Each time it was for a random check. None of the officers spoke English (why would they). A quick look at my drivers license and the permit and we were on our way.

The most bizarre stop occurred on a rural Tuscan road. The policeman looked about 18 (this may be a reflection of my age; everyone look young). He was polite and spoke, and I suspect read, no English and I firmly believe the IDP was what saved us from a ticket or worse.

Our very infrequent contact with police in Europe are they are polite, they know you are a tourist, and simply want to provide the required documentation and they will sent you on your way.

In around 10 car rentals in Europe, the car rental agency never asked for the IDP.

Posted by
11367 posts

For a little over $20. plus two photos of yourself, why wouldn’t you get this at your local AAA office? It is required in Italy, a translation of a drivers’ license. Takes 15 minutes at most, get it!!

Posted by
1829 posts

Italy seems to still require it.

That may change in the future. Greece recently announced it is no longer needed for US Drivers.
Honestly the thing is a farce. Have done it multiple times, it is cheap piece of paper nothing is "translated" into Italian or any other language. Is just a universal way of writing the information on your license I suppose.

Never been asked for it at a rental counter ; multiple times with Hertz and some others ; but as all others mentioned above me it is Italian law so you could be in trouble if something happens requiring the police and you don't have it.

The annoying aspect to me, is it is only good for 1 year even if your regular US license is valid for many years you have to get a new IDP each year. That said as much it it irks me ; I will get myself down to a AAA office and get another before I head to Greece and Italy in a few weeks just to cover myself.

Posted by
1165 posts

In Italy and some other European countries the police do not need a reason to pull you over. On one trip in Tuscany we came around a bend and the police parked beside the road waved us over. They asked to set the IDP, which we had.

Posted by
11 posts

I think its a good idea to have it. It lasts for 3 years, I believe and it only costs $25 at your local AAA office. Makes sense just to have it especially if you're a seasoned traveler.

Posted by
8610 posts

It's an international agreement between countries not a AAA invention. It may be outdated but the requirement is still there. I do not believe every single police officer in the world reads and understands english perfectly, and knows what a valid drivers license from all 56 states and territories looks like, any more than my local cop can recognize a valid license from Botswana, Georgia (the country), Bulgaria or Yemen. Let alone a license I can get from my friend the Nigerian prince online for $50 (he owes me a favor). An IDP requires an authorized representative (the AAA clerk) to verify you have a valid license, and how long it's valid for.

Posted by
4174 posts

You said "we." Assuming the other part of we has a valid US drivers license, it would be wise for that person to also get an IDP.

My husband did almost 100% of the driving when we rented cars in Europe, but I always got an IDP for me. Anything could happen that would prevent the primary driver from being able to drive. Having a 2nd legal driver is always a good idea.

Have a great time in Italy and avoid the dreaded speed cameras and ZTLs!

Posted by
15445 posts

European Union countries have adopted a uniform Drivers' license standard that in practice renders any translation useless. The standard consists of reporting the information in an uniform manner in the same order in all member States.

Some US States have adopted the same nomenclature (for example Colorado), so it is possible that in the future, if other US States do the same, the IDP will no longer be required for Americans traveling anywhere in the EU.

Posted by
33175 posts

after the law changes

even if it looks the same and walks the same it isn't the same - if an officer wanted to be difficult they could hold you to the letter of the law...

Posted by
10355 posts

The IDP is good for 12 months. Cheap and easy to obtain at AAA. Not only could it keep you from being fined for not having one, but without it you aren’t considered a valid driver and if you’re in an accident your insurance may not cover you for that reason.

Posted by
1889 posts

Wow am I glad I read through this thread. We are renting a car for the first time in Italy from Hertz. We are heading out now to our local AAA office to get the permit for the hubby. $20 plus 2 passport photos for $7.50 more. Totally worth the expense reading the stories of getting pulled over just because...and huge fine if IDP not produced.

We didnt' get one for Scotland, and had no issues, never asked for IDP at the rental office, and luckily never got pulled over.

Posted by
10355 posts

Ellen, they speak English in Scotland so it probably isn’t necessary there. The IDP is to translate your drivers license into other languages. Drivers must carry their government issued drivers license and the IDP when they drive.

Posted by
12172 posts

I have a stack of old IDP's from trips around Europe (whenever I drive in a country that requires them) including driving in Italy.

Have I ever needed one? Not yet. I was in a small accident in France but was never asked for my IDP. Other than that, I haven't had a ticket or accident to worry about.

Will I get one for my next trip to Italy this October? You bet. It's cheap and easy to obtain. The risk of being asked for one by Italian police and penalty for not producing it far outweigh the relatively small cost and inconvenience to get one before our trip. I say that hoping Triple A hasn't stopped providing them.

Brad