Please sign in to post.

Inexpensive hotel in Venice

Any current suggestions for a clean, inexpensive place to stay in Venice? We would like to stay for 2 nights prior to departing on our cruise and fancy is not a big concern for us. Thanks.

Posted by
9 posts

Hi Deb! I was in Venice in 2007, but the hotel we stayed in was expensive. I am going back in March 2013, and we found Hotel San Gallo on Trip Advisor and booked. It seemes to be a good deal, especially if you are in Venice on the weekdays. It's located by San Marco and got great reviews. We booked early, and got a discount for putting 70% down. It's worth checking out! Enjoy Venice!

Posted by
11507 posts

Deb I am not sure what inexpensive is, but we stayed at the Hotel Al Piave on a Rick Steves tour that stopped in Venice, its seems rates are high for june,, about 200 euros a night though, ouch.Hotel was nice enough though, once you find it. lol

Posted by
1994 posts

I stayed at Hotel Doni last Sept/Oct for 80E a night for an ensuite single room, with a very minimal but adequate breakfast. About 3 minutes from San Marco on a quiet side canal. Very simple, but I really liked it. If you want less expensive than that, I've also stayed at a great convent directly across the Grand Canal from San Marco, less than 100 yards from Salute church. That was 50E/night, shared bathroom, better breakfast than Hotel Doni. I don't have their contact info on hand and am blanking on the name of the religious order, but the convent name includes sisters of the catecumeni; if you want it, send me a private message and I'll hunt for it. Both are great locations and a short, easy walk from the vaporetto. The convent has an elevator, while you'll need to climb stairs at the Hotel Doni. In case language is of concern, none of the sisters at the convent speak any English (as far as I could tell), while the folks at Hotel Doni do speak English.

Posted by
7737 posts

Deb, include a specific dollar or euro amount as your limit and you'll get better recommendations.

Posted by
1161 posts

The Hotel Abbazia used to be a monestary, and it's located close to the train station and has good clean inexpensive rooms, and gets good ratings on Trip Advisor. Also look at the Antiche Figure on the Grand Canal across from the train station.

Posted by
32222 posts

Deb, I'd also recommend Albergo Doni in Venice. It's an older building but the room was clean and comfortable, the cost was reasonable and it's in a great location. As I recall, the building used to be a royal residence or something. There was no Elevator, so you'll need to haul your bags up to your room (pack light!). Happy travels!

Posted by
3941 posts

We have been to Venice 3 times, all 3 stayed at Al Campaniel B&B, near San Toma stop - actually, about 30 sec walk from the vaporetto stop. Room had a sep but locked/private bathroom a few steps away from the room (they have en-suite as well) and in mid-Sept, we paid I think about 65euro...depending on the time of year and the room you choose (high season being more) prices run 55-125 euro (the 125 is for a triple). Marco has always been very nice, let us store our luggage in a locked closet after we checked out but before we were leaving the city, and the breakfast is filling (cereal, juice/coffee/tea, asst of breads ....mmmm...the croissants are my fav...cheese). Oh, will mention, no canal views or anything, but very quiet...and choc shop across the alley!!!!

Posted by
2 posts

You are all amazing ~ thank you so much for your informative replies! I have checked into all of the places that have been recommended - some do not have availability, some I'm waiting on replies for availability. We are hoping to find a simple, clean (funky is fine) place for ~$150ish (difficult in Venice I know but I also know they do exist). I still welcome further suggestions ~ this Travelers Helpline is great (1st time user, can you tell?). Thanks again everyone, I'm thrilled w/ the responses you've taken the time to share.

Posted by
2193 posts

We've stayed at Albergo Marin, across the canal from the train station in Santa Croce (behind the church with the green dome). A nice, quiet location.

Posted by
7737 posts

You can also use venere.com or booking.com to look at only those places that have availability for your dates. Too bad that Pensione Guerrato is just out of your price range. We've stayed there twice. But all these postings just go to show that there are LOTS of options for Venice.