Please sign in to post.

In Naples for 10 hours on Nov 5 2008

want to see Naples,Pompeii,Herculaneum,Sorrento and if time permiting the Amalfi coast. do I have enough time?
1. I'm familiar with the train and all its stations
2. not sure on how to get to amalfi coast? train,bus or ferry. please advise

Posted by
401 posts

No, 10 hours is not enough to do all that. I don't even think 10 hours is enought to see just Naples....why the marathon?

Posted by
636 posts

With 10 hours, I would think that you could do any ONE of the following:

• Naples itself: National Archaeological Museum, wander and enjoy the city (and, of course, have some pizza)

• Sorrento - take the ferry or hydrofoil from Naples to Sorrento, and enjoy a day there (we used Sorrento as a base, but we didn't actually spend much time there - not sure how you would fill a day there)

• Amalfi Coast - if you're tight for time, hire a driver, but 10 hours is tight

• Pompeii and Herculaneum - you could probably do both of these in your single day, depending upon transportation

If it were me, I would go to Pompeii and, if time, to Herculaneum. Or, Pompeii and then back to Naples for the National Archaeological Museum (lots of artifacts from the local ruins there).

Posted by
2 posts

Rick has a good video on the area that is shown on PBS frequently.

Samantha Brown has a program on cruising Rome. The people from her group either rented a car and drove up to the Vesuvius crater (the last 200 yards by foot), or visited Pompeii by train, or took a ferry to Capri Isle (and a frequent bus up to the town of Annacapri), or just walked the streets of the Naples.

My favorite place to visit in the area is Paestum. There is a train station at Paestum that is about a half mile from three huge Greek temples that are in very nice shape with a museum on the premises. An image search on Paestum gives a good representation of what you can see.

Whatever you choose, be in a spot to see the sunset on the Bay (most any spot where you have a view of Capri).