Please sign in to post.

Hydrofoil/ferry Naples to Sorrento?

We will be visiting Italy in October. Trying to get from Naples to Sorrento via ferry or hydrofoil. Can anyone recommend a site where I can make reservations in English?

Posted by
552 posts

Like mph says, using the local site is not too very hard (not to mention it will be good practice to prepare for your trip!) But, I'm pretty sure that website won't be selling tickets this far in advance. You can try 'Direct Ferries' out of the UK, but they will charge you more for the convenience of doing the search in English.

Plus if the wind is blowing, which it could be in October, you'll probably be happier on the Circumvesuviana railway. This is the kind of ticket you should best plan to purchase once you're in country.

Posted by
15797 posts

Absolutely agree with Bill: make the decision once you're in Naples. The jetboats can be a whole lot of no fun when the weather isn't good. We've taken one on a stormy day, and I had to stand outside in the rain on a tiny piece of deck to keep from being terribly seasick.

Posted by
12 posts

Thank you so much. mph and Bill. I was able to navigate the website and get some approximate timing of the hydrofoils. It seems the ferries via Metro de Mare are no longer functioning, so my guess is that hydrofoil will be OK even if its windy. Thanks also for the tip to make the reservations once in-county. Can we do it on "same day", in October?

Posted by
210 posts

My wife and I did this same trip this past October. We left our cruise ship around 9am and walked maybe 1/4 mile to the nearby hydrofoil dock. No lines, no reservations needed. We spent the morning in Sorrento, had lunch, then took the circumvesuviana to Herculaneum. After touring the ruins we continued on the train back to Naples, had a wonderful pizza and returned to our ship with time to spare. A wonderful day!

Posted by
12 posts

Thank you all. I can see that it will be workable to wait until I arrive, and then decide on the water or train option to travel to Sorrento.
Your input was very helpful.