Please sign in to post.

How to Avoid Monreale, Sicily's 100 Stairs to Duomo.

Is there any way to avoid the 100 stairs for my husband with his painful knees? Can a taxi or tour van park above steps? I checked google earth and am not able to see where the stairs are. What is anyone's experience with that?

Posted by
5258 posts

Linda,
I don’t recall any stairs. There’s a public bus that can take you from Palermo to Monreale.
The bus drops you off at an intersection which is around a 5 minutes walk (a bit uphill) to the cathedral.
You can also take a taxi, if that is a better option for you, of course.

The Monreale cathedral is lovely and I do hope you get to see it.
Don’t miss the Cappella Palatina (Palatine Chapel) in Palermo which is also magnificent!

Do you have Rick Steve’s Guidebook?

Enjoy your trip!

Posted by
11365 posts

We didn’t climb any staircase at Monreale like you describe. Are you thinking about going up on the roof ?
Not necessary.

Posted by
3212 posts

What stairs?
You just walk into the cathedral from the road, all on one level.
If you are taking the bus there from Palermo, you have to walk up an inclined road to the town centre with the cathedral, but a taxi would drop you off right outside on a flat road.

Posted by
681 posts

As said, a taxi or private driver ( your hotel can most likely arrange one). or probably a small group daytour will drop you off right in the piazza at the church. That outside area is flat, a few steps here and there but relatively step free. Same for the church interior. As others have said maybe you are confused about steps up to the rooftop. That is optional and not essential. I have been there twice and also avoided the steps up to the top but my friends went and said the views were fantastic. While at the cathedral make sure you also visit the cloisters. Very pretty mosaic columns there and also flat. Also if you have the time there are some neat mosaic workshops and gift shops on the piazza and neighboring streets.

Posted by
2483 posts

I'm glad there is a way to avoid those stairs.
On the RS tour I was on, we were dropped off at the base and walked up. Our guide called them the Stairs of Death, because they were a bit uneven and you had to step carefully. A woman had injured herself on a previous tour she had led. I was annoyed because touts had draped their wares over the handrails.

Posted by
5 posts

Thank you for all for your quick responses and the valuable information! You all sound like experienced and fun travelers, and I am hoping to meet people like you on our trip; maybe even you! I do have Rick Steves' guide book, which is my favorite and his guidebooks have made travel so much easier for my husband and I for several years now. We will actually be in Sicily for a few weeks, and hope to see everything you all have mentioned and more; and are really looking forward to it all. The video is great; it helps to know what the stairs are like. I am so impressed by the helpfulness that abounds here. It makes me that much more excited to see Sicily!

Posted by
6754 posts

Our B&B in Monreale was down the hill from the Duomo so we walked up to it. When we took the bus back from Palermo we were dropped off right in town. It was level with no stairs.