Please sign in to post.

How long to get through Venice airport?

We will be traveling from Ireland to Venice mid-June, arriving late morning. Wondering roughly how long to expect it to take to get through the airport/customs and on to the water bus port. Obviously, I realize this is only a guess but I will be pre-booking the water bus and want to allow plenty of time but not waste hours either. Thanks in advance for helpfulness.

Posted by
25 posts

I realize I'm not directly answering your question, but I don't think there's any benefit to prebooking a specific waterbus time (I can't even figure out how to do that on Alilaguna's website). Even if you pay in advance, you still have to exchange the voucher at the counter so it doesn't save you any time.

Good to know. I can book it in advance but if there's no advantage to doing so, I might just skip it. That will save me from banking on how long it will take to get through the airport.

Posted by
8 posts

Hello,
In October 2023 we flew into the Marco Polo airport in Venice. Customs was really quick (no more than 15-20 minutes). "Everything else" was NOT quick. Hope your experience is better than ours: we arrived delayed due to a ground hold in Venice, too many seagulls near the runways (very dangerous). This meant that many flights which would have been stretched out over several hours landed all at once. It was about an hour to get a rolling staircase to the plane, then get a bus to haul (one bus load at a time) all the passengers to the terminal. If you are not checking luggage, you'd be good at that point; unfortunately it was at least another hour to get our luggage.

We rode the bus from airport to bus terminal in Venice so I can't help you with time to the water bus port. If I had to do it again, I'd take a water taxi; more expensive but it sure would have cut down the time from airport to hotel. However we flew "all night" from Atlanta - coming from Ireland I hope you might be a little more "fresh" than we were, and perhaps able to handle delays a little better.

Posted by
16385 posts

You can buy Alilaguna tickets online, but it is not a seat reservations and not for any particular boat. And you do not even get a ticket; as explained above you get a voucher to exchange at the ticket office for an actual ticket.

https://www.alilaguna.it/en/tickets/information

Be sure to validate your ticket before you board.