Please sign in to post.

How far in advance to buy train tickets?

I will use Trainline (seems like nice app) to buy advanced train tickets for 3 routes:
(1) Varenna to Bolzano, Sept 1
(2) Bolzano to Venice, Sept 4
(3) Venice to Florence, Sept 8

Should I buy them now or maybe 2 weeks before Sept 1 or .... ?

Just trying to reduce risk of trip cancel issues and yet get the better pricing.

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

Posted by
7737 posts

I don't know about that app, but you've missed the window for the super economy fares on the Freccia trains (Venice to Florence being one), which is four months prior to departure.

Posted by
3112 posts

Buy now or risk the cheapest fares being sold out. A quick check shows that Super Economy Trenitalia tickets and Low Cost Italo tickets (Venice to Florence only) are still available for certain times on your travel dates. As you already seem to know, the cheapest fares come with restrictions and are often non-changeable and non-refundable. Italo sometimes has discounted fares available after Trenitalia's discounted fares are sold out, so explore that option if you decide to wait.

I always buy directly from the train companies, so I can't comment on the Trainline app. Some resellers (I believe Trainline is a reseller) sell trips that are partly on Trenitalia and partly on Italo, so be attentive as those trips may not be protected if the first train is late and you miss your connection.

Posted by
178 posts

Sounds like the best thing is just to buy now. So far we have not had to cancel a trip.

We will try not to mix train companies on a route.

Thanks!

Posted by
3262 posts

Or try to use the easy TrenItalia app. You can download to your device and tix can be scanned on screen. App also has real time scheduling so you can check if your train is on time. This is the railroad’s official app.

Posted by
178 posts

I do have the Trenitalia app and did not think of using it to check if trains are on time. Thanks.

I used the Trainline app because the 1st journey requires 2 transfers. That app seems much easier for this and the setup is easy.