Please sign in to post.

Hotels in Sorrento

Hi all,

I'm going to Sorrento for 10 days at the start of September and I'm struggling to find a hotel with reviews that don't make me worried to book! I'm not sure if I have left it too late. It's for our Honeymoon, and as we weren't sure when we were going, it is a little late in the year, I suppose.

So we need a room for two, preferably with a balcony, but not essential. Pool would be a bonus, but again not essential. We aren't too fussed about there being a fantastic restaurant on site as we will be exploring Sorrento for the best restaurants as we are both foodies, so won't be confined to the hotel. Although, if it does happen to have a fantastic restaurant, then that is a bonus! We would prefer modern, but from what I've seen the hotels seem more 'quaint', so modern may not be an option. The one stipulation, is that we want walking distance to the heart of Sorrento, as we will be exploring the local bars and restaurants in the evening and don't want to be worried about missing the hotel shuttles back etc. We are planning on doing plenty of day trips and exploring Sorrento itself too, we envision we won't be in the hotel for a great deal of time either. Breakfast being included isn't essential either as my husband to be isn't a big breakfast eater, and I am always happy to grab something from a local deli/cafe type place, although again if it does offer a good breakfast, then again, bonus!

A little background about us, we are both in our mid-late 20s without children. We have no mobility problems, so if there are steps or steep slopes etc, we will be fine. We enjoy food and wine, but aren't party goers (anymore). We are also from the UK, so we don't need to worry about jet lag once arriving at the hotel as the flight is only a few hours for us.

I have also heard that it is best to not book a 'Honeymoon' but to book the hotel and send an email after booking informing them that it is your Honeymoon. Has anyone any experience of this? And if so, how would you word your email?

Hopefully that is enough information!

Thanks in advance,

Rachel.

Posted by
15862 posts

Hotel Antiche Mura: highly recommend. Our room didn't have a balcony but they have some which do, and ours opened directly onto the backyard/garden/pool area: very nice! Terrific staff and very good breakfast (included in the tariff) in a large, airy, sunny room. Only a couple of blocks off the Piazza Tasso, and easy walk to the train station. No restaurant - just a snack bar - but that didn't bother us as we found plenty of plenty of places to nosh around town.

Request a comfort room or greater (not a standard or economy) with balcony or terrace.

http://hotelantichemura.com

Posted by
15862 posts

Forgot to mention that the one I recommended is not a "modern" hotel but that's not unusual for old centers. Europeans tend not to tear down their lovely old buildings! It also doesn't have a view of the sea but no matter as we were out and about all day anyway, and it made the price a little better for a top-rated Sorrento hotel.

Posted by
23 posts

Christi- I know, right? I'm so rubbish :( Hopefully we will find something! Hubby to be has been very indecisive about where he wants to go. Thank you for your recommendation also.

Thanks again Kathy! I think every European country apart from the one I'm from does like to preserve it's history and culture! In England, we just tear it all down and start again :(

Posted by
672 posts

We stayed at Hotel Bristol in March. It was clean, comfortable, and quiet. Location was on Via Capo, a 15-minute walk into town (no shuttle needed). Balcony view was amazing - Bay of Naples with Vesuvius in the distance. Each balcony had a table and chairs, so we enjoyed some down time each day having a glass of wine out there before dinner. Hotel breakfast was outstanding. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Sounds like the Bristol is a good match for what you are looking for. And congratulations!

Posted by
553 posts

We stayed in the Tasso Suites a couple of years ago and it was great. http://www.tassosuites.it/
It has a small lift. It's in the town center, so easy to walk to everything. At the time, they offered vouchers for breakfast at a nearby restaurant. They have some regular rooms and small apartments. I would definitely stay there again.

Posted by
1 posts

We stayed at Hotel Villa Garden. It was lovely and charming, family owned and run. The views are spectacular! It's a little bit of a walk to the downtown area but we're in our 50's so I'm sure you can handle it. :) I think they do have a pool but we didn't use it. Have fun! We went in September, too, it was great weather.

Posted by
2 posts

Hello Rachel. I strongly recommend Magi House, which is a B&B right in the center of Sorrento. http://magihouse.com/ You will be able to walk to everything in Sorrento. My husband and I stayed there last September and it was fantastic. Each room is unique...we stayed in the Penthouse Suite. You say you don't really care about breakfast...but, the breakfast is wonderful, and served on their upper level terrace. But the thing that makes Magi House really special is the staff. Friendly, attentive, responsive to our every need. They helped us plan our day in Pompeii and also booked an Amalfi coast tour that was the highlight of our trip.

Posted by
703 posts

I am generally reluctant to recommend hotels, but I would second tasso suites, just spent a number of days there ( our second visit) so handy to everything. great service, best of all is the 6 euro breakfast ( when not included) or it may be included with booking.( now in its own area downstairs) there is a good, old style restaurant next door. also short walk to the elevator that goes to the marina.

hope this helps, have a wonderful time.

Posted by
23 posts

Thank you so so so much to everyone who has recommended hotels!! I will take a look at all of them, and let you know where I decide! I love this forum so much, everyone is super helpful on here.

Posted by
9423 posts

We've stayed at Hotel La Tonarella twice and loved it. It's on a cliff with jaw dropping views, has a very good restaurant that locals come to, has a private beach with lounge chairs, rooms with private terrace (amazing - highly recommend)) / balconies / patio, fantastic breakfast buffet, public terraces, flowers, parking... It's a short 5-10 min walk from town / a bus stop very close to hotel.